Partnership within communities is at the heart of the Prize.
Prize-winning communities center residents’ needs to advance a Culture of Health where everyone can live their healthiest possible lives. Prize winners show us what’s possible when we work across sectors and disciplines to build a society where everyone has a fair and just opportunity to thrive. Their work can inspire other communities—and policymakers at all levels—to take action to create change.
The Prize is awarded to communities that are:
- Addressing structural racism and other structural injustices in order to create conditions that advance health equity.
- Committing to sustainable policy, systems, environmental and cultural changes.
- Working alongside partners across sectors, and elevating the expertise and solutions held by people with firsthand experiences of health inequities.
- Engaging in cultural work that envisions and advances a more just future.
- Making the most of available community resources and fostering sustainability.
- Measuring and sharing qualitative and quantitative indicators of progress in culturally relevant ways.