Last updated: May 18, 2018
U.S. Toll Free: (877) 843-7953
International: +1 609 627 6000
2. How we collect your information.
We collect information related to you and your use of the Sites in the following ways:
A. Information you provide to us.
- Registration – In order to use some features of certain of the Sites, you must first complete a registration form. During registration, you may be asked to provide personally identifiable information and contact information (e.g., name, organizational affiliation, email and postal addresses, Twitter handle, etc.). If information requested is marked as “optional,” you are not required to provide that information in order to complete the registration process.
- Email Subscription – In order to subscribe to certain of our email mailing lists you must complete a registration form. During registration, you may be asked to provide personally identifiable information and contact information (e.g., name, organizational affiliation, email and postal addresses, Twitter handle, etc.). If information requested is marked as “optional,” you are not required to provide that information in order to complete the registration process. Subscriptions to our email mailing lists must be confirmed by clicking on a link we will send to you via the email address you provide to us.
- Ordering Publications – When you order a publication from one of the Sites, you will need to provide contact/shipping information (e.g., name, organizational affiliation, and email and postal addresses).
- Interests – In order to facilitate your interaction with the Sites you may be asked to, and may wish to, provide information about your personal interests.
- Surveys/Contests – From time to time, we may conduct online surveys on topics related to our programs or the Sites or conduct contests regarding the same. If you choose to participate in such a survey or a contest, you will be required to provide certain information to participate (e.g., name, organizational affiliation, email and postal addresses, Twitter handle, etc.). Participation in these surveys and contests is voluntary.
- Contacting Us – You may choose to contact us, for example, to obtain technical support or provide feedback on the Site. We may collect any information you choose to provide when you communicate with us.
We may combine all of this data, along with data provided from your use of the Site as outlined below and other sources to offer you services and for the purposes described below.
B. Information collected from your use of the Sites.
- We and certain of our Service Providers also may use similar technologies in our email communications to let us know which emails and links have been opened by recipients. This allows us to, among other things, gauge the effectiveness of our customer communications and marketing campaigns.
- You may opt out of cookies provided by our Service Provider Adobe by following the instructions located at www.adobe.com/privacy/opt-out.html#4 and of cookies provided on our Sites by other Service Providers who are members of the Digital Advertising Alliance program by following the instructions located at www.aboutads.info/choices/. You can find more information about cookies at www.allaboutcookies.org.
- Local Storage Objects and Advertising – We use Local Storage Objects (“LSOs”), such as HTML5, to store content information and preferences. Service Providers with which we engage to provide certain features on our Sites or to display advertising based upon your web browsing activity use LSOs such as HTML5 or Flash to collect and store information. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 LSOs. To manage Flash LSOs please see the information located at www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html.
3. How We Use the Information Collected.
We use the information collected from you for the following purposes:
- to provide you with information about events, activities, opportunities, products, or services that might be of interest to you;
- to respond to your inquiries and to provide you with customer support;
- to assist in managing your account;
- to conduct or facilitate surveys;
- to maintain and administer the Sites;
- to customize your experience, content, advertising, or homepage on the Sites, including providing engaging and consistent experiences across the Sites and providing you with more relevant products, services, or content;
- to generate aggregate statistical studies to analyze how the Sites are used, to gauge efficiency of email communications, and to conduct research which may be used in marketing our services to you or to third parties;
- to deliver products or services to you; and
- for any other purpose(s) described to you at the time you provide your information to us.
We will retain information collected from you for the duration of your relationship with us or as necessary to provide services that you request, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements
4. How We Share the Information Collected.
We may share the information collected from you as follows:
- with Service Providers that assist us in the provision of Services to you;
- with our non-profit and for-profit funding or grant partners or other strategic partners when it is related to events, activities, opportunities, products, or services that might be of interest to you;
- to conform or comply with the law;
- if we have a good faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with a lawful court order, government investigation, or subpoena, or is necessary and appropriate to cooperate with investigations by law enforcement or regulatory authorities or to participate or cooperate with a judicial proceeding;
- to enforce applicable terms and conditions of the Sites;
- in urgent circumstances, to protect the safety of persons or property, including but not limited to, the Sites; and
- if we merge with or are acquired by another entity, undergo a re-organization with an entity, and/or in the event that we sell (or propose to sell) any property, business, or assets to an entity, we may disclose your information to such entity. If we undergo bankruptcy or liquidation proceedings, we may disclose your information to the entity managing our assets such as a receiver, to the court overseeing the proceedings, or as directed by such court.
We also may share information in an aggregated non-personally identifiable manner with third parties and such third parties may further share such aggregated non-personally identifiable information in connection with their own marketing, products, and services.
5. The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The GDPR is a European regulation concerning the use and processing of personal information. We are committed to processing the information of EU visitors to our Sites in compliance with the GDPR upon its effectiveness on May 25, 2018.
The applicable legal basis for which we process your information for the specific purposes listed above, include the following:
- We have a legitimate interest in communicating with you and managing our interactions with your regarding our products and services.
- In specific circumstances, we may need to process your information to comply with an applicable law or regulation. Where we process your information to meet our legal obligations, you will likely not be permitted to object to this processing activity, but you will usually have the right to access or review this information unless it would impede our legal obligations.
We will use reasonable efforts to timely respond to any requests by you to exercise your rights under the GDPR:
- You have the right to see and get a copy of information, including an electronic copy that we have about you;
- You have the right to ask us to make any corrections to inaccurate or incomplete Personal Data we have about you;
- You can also request that we erase your Personal Data when it is no longer needed for the purposes for which you provided it;
- You may ask us to restrict how we process your Personal Data to certain limited purposes where erasure is not possible;
- In certain circumstances you may be able to request that we send a copy of your Personal Data to a third party of your choosing; and
- You can object to processing of your personal information based on the Foundation’s legitimate interest (or those of a third party) to use it and there is something about your particular situation that causes you to object to such processing.
To exercise any of these rights, please contact us at the information provided above. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority where you believe that your rights have been violated.
The Sites are owned and operated in the United States. Your use of the website will result in the collection, storage, and processing of your information in the United States and in any country to which we may transfer your information in the course of our business operations. If you are visiting this site from a country other than the United States, your information will cross an international boundary. The level of protection for your information in the United States may not be the same as the level of protection in your country.
6. Children’s Personal Data.
This site is not intended for or designed for individuals under the age of 16. We do not knowingly collect information from any person under the age of 16.
If you no longer wish to receive communications from us, you may opt out of receiving these communications by visiting the Manage Your Subscriptions link in each of our Sites.
From time to time, it may be necessary for us to send out service-related announcements. For example, if one of our Sites is temporarily suspended for maintenance, we might send users an email notice regarding the suspension. Generally, users may not opt out of these communications unless they deactivate their account.
Our Sites may offer publicly accessible blogs or community forums. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personally identifiable information from a blog or community forum, contact us as noted above. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personally identifiable information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so.
We have put in place appropriate physical, technical, and administrative procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is one hundred percent secure. You acknowledge that there are security and privacy limitations inherent to the Internet which are beyond our control, and the security, integrity, and privacy of any and all information and data exchanged between you and us through this Site cannot be guaranteed. We encourage you to be careful when using the Internet or transmitting data through a wireless network.
11. Updating and Deleting Personally Identifiable Information; Data Retention.
If your personally identifiable information changes, or you want to stop receiving all email from us, use this link to manage your RWJF emails. If you no longer desire our services and you want your profile to be deleted from our systems please contact us at email@example.com and let us know you want your profile to be removed and be sure to include the email address associated with the profile to be removed.
We will retain information collected from you for the duration of your relationship with us or as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
12. Your California Privacy Rights.
Pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83, a California resident who has provided personally identifiable information to a business with whom he/she has established a business relationship has the right to request certain information regarding the disclosure of personally identifiable information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please use our Contact Us form, or write to us at: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 50 College Road East, Princeton, NJ 08540-6614, Attention: RWJF Web Privacy.