Systems for Action (S4A) is a signature research program of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) that builds a Culture of Health by rigorously testing new ways of connecting the nation’s fragmented medical, social, and public health systems. Studies conducted through the S4A program test innovative mechanisms for aligning the delivery and financing systems for medical, social, and public health services, with a focus on estimating their impact on health and health equity. S4A uses a wide research lens that includes and extends beyond medical care and public health to incorporate social service systems—such as housing; transportation; education; employment; food and nutrition assistance; child and family support; criminal and juvenile justice; and economic and community development.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Applicants must be either public entities or nonprofit organizations that are tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and are not private foundations or nonfunctionally integrated Type III supporting organizations. The Foundation may require additional documentation from applicant organizations.
- Applicant organizations must be based in the United States or its territories.
- Awards will be made to organizations, not to individuals. Multi-organizational consortia are encouraged to apply as long as a single eligible organization is designated as the primary applicant responsible for maintaining consortium agreements with other participating organizations. The primary applicant organization must have a demonstrated history of successfully managing funds awarded by foundation or government sources.
August 7, 2018 (1–2 p.m. ET)
Slides and recording to the applicant webinar can be accessed here.
September 12, 2018 (3 p.m. ET)
Deadline for receipt of one-page letter of intent (LOI) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
October 10, 2018 (3 p.m. ET)
Deadline for receipt of full proposals via RWJF online system.
Applicant finalists notified of funding recommendations.
March 1, 2019
- This call will support studies that can be completed over a 24-month period with up to $250,000 each in total funding from RWJF.
- Up to six awards will be selected for funding under this solicitation.
Application is Now Closed
Application closed as of:
October 10, 2018, 3:00 p.m. ET