The HD4A program will fund innovative research that uses the available data to answer important research questions. Applicants under this Call for Proposals (CFP) will write a proposal for a research study using data from either the Health Care Cost Institute (HCCI) or athenahealth. Successful applicants will be provided with access to these data, which are described in greater detail below. The HCCI and athenahealth data provide a wealth of private claims data and rich detail on care delivery and patient obesity-related measures, respectively. The proposed studies should enable relevant, innovative, and actionable research that uses the available data to answer important, policy-relevant questions.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Researchers, as well as practitioners in the public and private sector working with researchers, are eligible to submit proposals through their organizations. Projects may be generated from disciplines including health services research; economics; sociology; program evaluation; political science; public policy; public health; public administration; law; business administration; or other related fields. Use of the data under this CFP is restricted to noncommercial use.
- The Foundation may give preference to applicants that are either public entities or nonprofit organizations that are tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and are not private foundations or Type III supporting organizations. The Foundation may require additional documentation.
- Applicant organizations must be based in the United States or its territories.
May 2, 2017 (12-1 p.m. ET)
Prospective applicant informational webinar. Registration required.
May 24, 2017 (3 p.m. ET)
Deadline for receipt of brief proposals.*
June 23, 2017
Applicants notified whether invited to submit full proposals.
July 28, 2017 (3 p.m. ET)
Deadline for receipt of full proposals.*
October 25, 2017
Notification of finalists.
December 15, 2017
- Recommended project funding is up to $150,000 per project to accommodate studies of up to 12 months. No funds will be needed to acquire the HCCI or athenahealth data.
- Up to $750,000 will be available under this CFP, to fund up to five studies. The five studies will include projects using either HCCI or athenahealth data, and no specific breakdown by data source is prescribed.