Finding Answers: Disparities Research for Change has funded rigorous evaluations of 33 clinical interventions designed to eliminate racial and ethnic differences in health care and conducted systematic reviews of the scientific literature.
Findings contributed to creation of a six-step “roadmap” that health care providers can follow to develop their own projects to eliminate racial and ethnic disparities in health care delivery, while increasing the quality of care for all patients.
Dates of the Program: 2005 through 2014
Program Description: In 2005, a plethora of research documented disparities in the delivery of health care services, but practical information about what providers could do to improve care for racial and ethnic minorities was scarce. Most of the published research focused on defining disparities in both health outcomes and health care service delivery—not on evaluations of potential solutions.
“Health care providers may be well meaning and they may want to reduce disparities, but they often don’t know where to start. Finding Answers was a first crucial step to supply some of the knowledge and know-how,” said Marshall Chin, MD, MPH, the program’s director.
Finding Answers has been “really critical because it helped to take the research work out of the academic realm and put it into the delivery realm in terms of what was possible, evaluating what was successful, and even thinking about scaling,” says Romana Hasnain-Wynia, PhD, director of the program addressing health disparities at the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute.
- Promoting Community Health Workers to Reduce Health Disparities in Minnesota December 20, 2012
- How Does the Affordable Care Act Address Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care? December 1, 2011
- Ethnic and Gender Disparities in Needed Adolescent Mental Health Care February 1, 2011
- Massachusetts' Health Care Reform Increased Access to Care for Hispanics, but Disparities Remain August 1, 2011
- Pay-for-Performance Programs to Reduce Racial/Ethnic Disparities February 1, 2012
Finding Answers created 6-step roadmap to help health care providers reduce health care service inequities
Search Finding Answers Intervention Database to explore ideas for reducing health care service inequities