"It is really impossible to go in and look at information systems. Systems belong to agencies, and agencies have personalities. The most important thing we did was to bring the players together," said Claudia Page, co-director of Social Interest Solutions.
A Tool for States to Conduct a "Gap Analysis" of Their Information Infrastructure Resources
"The challenge post-ACA is that there is a crazy timeline  that states are racing toward to build a health insurance exchange," said Claudia Page, co-director of Social Interest Solutions in Oakland, Calif.
Dates of Project: November 2010 through October 2011
Field of Work: State implementation of the Affordable Care Act
Problem Synopsis: Enrollment in social service programs is notoriously fragmented, time consuming, and overwhelming. In creating health insurance exchanges under the 2010 Affordable Care Act (ACA), states can simplify and integrate access to a range of coverage options as well as other social services.
Synopsis of the Work: To qualify for federal funds to develop the exchanges, states had to complete a "gap analysis" revealing which of their existing software and hardware they could use in a new information infrastructure and which needed resources they lacked.
Social Interest Solutions, the grantee:
- Created the ACA Technical Gap Assessment tool to help states assess whether their existing information systems met ACA requirements
- Worked with four states—Alabama, Arizona, Maryland, and New York—to assess their social services information systems using the gap assessment tool
- Provided timely information to states on emerging federal standards for information systems for state health exchanges
- Reform in Action: How Will Health Insurance Exchanges Improve Quality? July 9, 2012
- Cross-Cutting Issues: Plan Participation in Health Insurance Exchanges September 1, 2012
- State Progress in Implementing Health Insurance Exchanges: Results from 10 State Analyses September 1, 2012
- Health Insurance Exchanges: How Economic and Financial Modeling Can Support State Implementation November 1, 2010
- About this grant
RWJF grantee help states evaluate their info. systems to create easy-to-use health insurance exchange.