Field of Work: Online education for nurses
Problem Synopsis: The nation's nursing shortage is expected to grow to more than one million nurses by 2020.
Synopsis of the Work: Western Governors University in Salt Lake City, an online university, developed and implemented a Baccalaureate of Science in Nursing (BSN) combining online courses with patient simulation labs and clinical experiences at partnering health care organizations to prepare students for initial licensure as registered nurses.
The prelicensure program offers:
- Competency-based learning;
- A bachelors' level curriculum provided online;
- Patient simulation labs;
- Clinical rotations (called clinical intensives).
The BSN program received accreditation nationally and in four states (California, Texas, Utah and Florida). As of December 31, 2010, it had enrolled seven cohorts with a total of 81 students in California, and 6 cohorts with a total of 34 students in Texas.
- Putting Innovations in Nursing Education to the Test February 25, 2010
- Better Jobs Better Care: Building a Strong Long-Term Care Workforce April 27, 2011
- Grantees of Evaluating Innovations in Nursing Education Program (EIN) Study Interventions that Address Nurse Faculty Shortage April 25, 2011
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and Northwest Health Foundation Announce New Initiatives to Build the 21st Century Nursing Workforce August 31, 2010
- About this grant