Alliances Between Academic Health Centers and Historically Black Colleges and Universities Address Disparities
To increase the number of minorities in health professions schools, the Sullivan Alliance to Transform America's Health Professions fostered formal relationships called alliances between historically Black colleges and universities and academic health centers and provided technical expertise, advice and support to them.
Through the alliances, undergraduate students participate in summer programs at health professions schools. The programs focus on areas such as research; Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) preparation programs; and classes and seminars to help prepare students for studying medicine, nursing, pharmacy and other health professions. These students are provided ongoing mentorship and networking opportunities and are eligible to apply for BS-MD tracks through certain schools of medicine, bypassing traditional admission requirements such as the MCAT exam if they meet other academic/community criteria.
The Sullivan Alliance to Transform the Health Professions provided ongoing expertise to help two existing alliances expand, the Virginia-Nebraska Alliance and the Florida Alliance. IT also helped establish new alliances in Maryland and North Carolina and began discussions to form others in Colorado, Iowa, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina.
The Sullivan Alliance to Transform the Health Professions:
- Provided ongoing expertise to help two existing alliances expand:
- Virginia-Nebraska Alliance
- Florida Alliance
- Helped establish new alliances in Maryland and North Carolina and began discussions to form others in Colorado, Iowa, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina.
- Created a process to evaluate the work of the alliances based on the Logic Model for Program Evaluation, using metrics, such as the number of students accepted to medical school or average score on the MCAT.
- Summer Medical and Dental Education Program October 7, 2013
- Health Professions Partnership Initiative September 9, 2009
- Pipeline, Profession & Practice: Community-Based Dental Education August 27, 2013
- About this grant