State of the States: The State We're In
Despite the constraints of the recession and uncertainty about the impact of potential federal reforms, many states made great strides in implementing local reforms in 2009, as documented in the new State of the States report from State Coverage Initiatives (SCI).
A national program of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the SCI report—The State We’re In—tells stories of how states:
- protected Medicaid during a time of rampant fiscal tightening;
- increased coverage for kids;
- responded to falling employer-sponsored coverage rates;
- experimented with exchanges and other ways to organize local insurance markets;
- addressed rising delivery system costs by improving care coordination; and
- explored novel ways to re-think health care payment systems.