National Scan Gives Tips on How to Run Effective Teen Pregnancy Prevention Programs for Latinas
In 2006, researchers from Hispanas Organized for Political Equality conducted a survey of 43 Latino teen pregnancy prevention programs across the country to understand better the most effective ways to reach Latinas, and the main challenges that these programs face.
The researchers reported the following findings in the report National Scan of Latina Teen Pregnancy Prevention Programs.
Effective Outreach Methods
- Culture. Creatively reach young Latinas by incorporating prevention messages in Hispanic traditions and by instilling cultural pride.
- Language. Deliver bilingual programming, including bilingual educators and bilingual materials.
- Peer-to-peer education. Use teen-led education, especially bilingual teen-led education.
- Funding. Programs consistently needed more funding to sustain their efforts.
- Language. Programs lacked bilingual educators, and when bilingual services were available, they were expensive.
- High turnover of program staff and participants. Programs often became unstable because of staff turnover. They could not provide long-term services because of participant turnover.