In January 2003, the nonprofit research institute Drug Strategies published a national guide to drug treatment programs for teens. The institute also established a companion website to the guide.
The guide, entitled Treating Teens: A Guide to Adolescent Drug Programs, provides parents and caregivers with concrete ways to assess treatment programs. It also includes:
- A detailed description of the nine key elements that contribute to treatment effectiveness.
- Summary profiles of 144 adolescent treatment programs with elements of effective treatment, and an in-depth look at seven promising programs.
- Hotline numbers and website addresses for teen substance abuse treatment centers in each state.
- Definitions of frequently used treatment terms.
The companion website includes:
- A searchable database with detailed profiles of the treatment programs summarized in the guide.
- Research articles on adolescent substance abuse.