Walking Where the Buffalo Roam: Winnebago Tribe Blueprint Promotes Exercise
The Ho-Chunk Community Development Corporation, Walt Hill, Neb., drafted a white paper documenting the steps taken by the Winnebago tribe of Nebraska to create a new housing and commercial village designed to promote greater physical activity and healthy living among its residents.
The resulting report, Building Healthy Tribal Villages, documents the early conceptual stages of the project, how the tribe used extensive meetings with tribal members to develop the village design and the progress made during the early phases of construction.
The report includes the following recommendations for other tribes seeking to plan and implement similar projects:
- Establish partnerships that are capable of implementing the development being planned.
- Determine the needs of the community and what steps the development should take to address those needs.
- Determine a development site based on location, size, topography and other factors that lend themselves to addressing the established needs; then begin the process to acquire the land.
- Break down construction of the development into phases, updating it as actual costs are accrued and as future years' construction is better specified.
- Hold communitywide meetings to ensure that residents have the opportunity to participate in the planning process.