Health Care Reporting for Native Americans
From 1991 to 2001, project staff at the Alaska Public Radio Network (and later Koahnic Broadcast Corporation) produced health-information news and features for the daily National Native News radio program, and developed a weekly call-in health program, "The Friday Wellness Edition."
Koahnic Broadcast Corporation also streamed the programs through its own and several other websites to reach additional listeners.
During the course of these grants, project staff:
- Worked with the health reporter/producer and contributing correspondents to produce and broadcast two to six health-related stories on National Native News each week.
- Started "The Friday Wellness Edition," a weekly edition of the daily call-in program Native America Calling.
- Established a Koahnic Broadcast Corporation website in 1999 to expand its audience of listeners and to raise funds through on-line membership and e-commerce.
- Conducted two news workshops for a total of 25 National Native News correspondents from around the country.
- Named two Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Health Fellows, one in 1999 and one in 2000.