From 2000 to 2001, staff from the American Accreditation HealthCare Commission (more commonly known as URAC, the Utilization Review Accreditation Commission) commissioned a special supplement to Medical Care Research and Review, a peer-reviewed journal.
The supplement covered issues regarding access and quality of care in the nation's more than 1,000 preferred provider organizations (PPOs), of which little information had been available.
- The special supplement, PPO Performance Measurement: Agenda for the Future, features articles written by academic experts in health services research for a national conference held in Washington, on March 15–16, 2001. The articles examine the following topics regarding quality of care in PPOs:
- Access to data to enable performance measurement.
- Conceptual and methodological issues that relate to measuring clinical quality.
- Alternative methods to assess PPO quality, including accreditation and physician profiling.
- Measuring consumer utilization of, and satisfaction with, preventive care to evaluate PPO quality.