Capacity-Building Initiative Provides Practical Help for Health Nonprofit Boards
From mid-1999 to mid-2002, BoardSource (formerly the National Center for Non-Profit Boards), Washington, developed new tools and resources to strengthen the effectiveness of the governing boards of voluntary health and health-related organizations.
BoardSource is a resource for training and technical assistance addressed to the responsibilities confronting the governance of America's voluntary sector.
During the grant period, BoardSource:
- Completed the third Nonprofit Governance Index survey in September 1999 in partnership with Stanford University's Graduate School of Business.
- Developed 46 new resources, among them a:
- Board retreat handbook.
- Chief executive compensation guide.
- Conflict resolution manual.
All are widely applicable to many types of nonprofits, including health care and health related organizations.
- Conducted customized training programs, including board self-assessments, strategic planning and retreats, for nearly 200 nonprofit organizations in 2001.
- Increased membership from 10,500 at the end of 1998 to over 16,500 in May 2002.