From 1997 to 2001, the Greater New York Hospital Foundation provided technical assistance to 17 New York teaching hospitals participating in an RWJF demonstration project to reduce the size of their residency training programs.
As reported to RWJF, project staff provided the following technical assistance:
- Surveyed 42 hospitals initially participating in the project to assess the specialty-specific reductions they made during the first year.
- Provided participants with reports that compared their residency program to others in the geographic region.
- Conducted a study of eight hospitals nationwide on their decision-making about residency program size.
- Convened eight educational seminars for staff at the demonstration hospitals.
- Provided consultation on various issues the hospitals faced as they reduced the size of their residency programs.