Harvey J. Weiss and Associates Weiss and Associates created a National Inhalant Prevention Coalition (NIPC).
- Maintained and promoted a toll-free "800" number (800-269-4237).
- Established National Inhalants and Poison Awareness Week (NIPAW).
- Disseminated education and awareness kits through NIPAW.
- Published a newsletter, ViewPoint; distributed information, posters, videos, and public service announcements (PSAs) for print, radio, and television. The mother of basketball star Michael Jordan appeared in a PSA video warning parents about the dangers of inhalant use; about 350 copies of the video were distributed.
- Advanced a national strategy on inhalant prevention.
- NIPAW drew participation from 49 states (except Hawaii) with about 1,400 individuals and organizations involved.
- Through the toll-free number and other outreach efforts, NIPC directly reached more than 57,000 individuals and organizations.
- NIPC received widespread media coverage. Feature stories have appeared in USA Today, the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, the Today Show, CNN Newsstand, and National Public Radio's (NPR) Morning Edition.
- In order to explore a range of interventions in inhalants, this project established bridges to other substance abuse prevention initiatives supported by RWJF, including Fighting Back®, Join Together, and the Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America (CADCA).
- NIPC established itself as a principal resource for inhalant prevention efforts and information, providing individuals and organizations with information and resources to combat abuse as well as a hotline for those in crisis.