From 1992 to 1997, the Arkansas Health Resources Commission (formerly the Arkansas Interagency Working Group or IWG) and the Governor's Task Force on Health Care Reform identified health information key to health care reform in the state.
The project was part of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) Information for State Health Policy national program.
- Under Phase I, the Arkansas Interagency Working Group identified and ranked 34 separate state health policy issues in two major areas:
- Fiscal issues (health insurance reforms, cost containment, and financing indigent health care).
- Sexual consequences (teenage pregnancy, infant mortality and low birthweight babies, and sexually transmitted diseases).
- Under Phase II, project staff:
- Developed and implemented (with legislative support) a Hospital Discharge Data System.
- Conducted a Family Health Survey of randomly selected households.
- Enhanced Medicaid claims data.
- Disseminated its work through newsletters, reports, briefings and public use files.