Aligning Forces for Quality
This program received support from the Foundation between 2005 and 2017.
Improving the quality, equality and value of regional health care markets.
Aligning Forces for Quality (AF4Q) is RWJF’s signature effort to lift the quality of health care in targeted communities, reduce racial and ethnic disparities, and provide models for national reform.
This 16-site, community-based health care quality improvement initiative ran from 2007 through 2015. The 16 geographically, demographically, and economically diverse communities that participated cover 12.5 percent of the U.S. population.
Using multi-stakeholder alliances and regional coalitions to coordinate efforts across providers and organizations, the program addressed five main areas:
- Measurement and public reporting of health care quality and efficiency for ambulatory physician practices and hospitals;
- Efforts to engage consumers as partners in their own care (consumer engagement);
- Adoption and spread of effective quality improvement strategies to improve care;
- Ensuring the equitable receipt of health care; and
- Integration of alliance activities with payment reform initiatives.
Grants and Grant Programs
RWJF supports programs to help everyone in our nation have the opportunity to live healthier lives.