The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF; the Foundation), located in Princeton, N.J., is the largest philanthropy in America dedicated solely to health. Since 1972, we have focused on developing and promoting innovations in health and healthcare to improve the lives of millions. In partnership with others, we are working toward a nation that is rooted in equity, compassion, and respect. A nation that provides everyone in America a fair and just opportunity to thrive, no matter who they are, where they live, or how much money they have. This requires addressing many harmful obstacles to well-being, including poverty, powerlessness, and discrimination.
About This Opportunity
The investment analyst reports to the managing director on the Portfolio Management team. The analyst is responsible for a variety of tasks to provide analytical support for asset allocation, participate in risk discussions and support systems to assess risks inherent with our investments.
The Foundation Investment Office maintains a fairly flat organizational structure of approximately 18 staff managing a $15 billion broadly diversified portfolio in both public and private investments. The investment analyst program is a three-year term appointment. Analysts split time between the Foundation’s New York City and Princeton, N.J., offices.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Contribute to risk discussions with internal and external partners on market, operational, and other risks inherent with our investments.
- Provide asset allocation analytical support, e.g., strategic asset allocation, investment sizing, marginal risk contribution, factor modeling, liquidity modeling.
- Assist managing director and CIO in managing portfolio derivatives overlay and other portfolio-level activities, e.g., evaluating hedge implementation strategies, tracking and reporting on hedge instruments.
- Partner with managing director and IT team to build, maintain, and enhance proprietary risk management system.
- Apply analytical framework and rigor to ad-hoc quantitative research questions in portfolio management. Partner with Public and Private teams to address research questions that require quantitative tools, data, and/or cross-team collaboration.
- As a member of the Analyst team, collaborate with other analysts in department activities.
- Participate in meetings with prospective and invested managers.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Commitment to the Foundation’s vision, values, and Guiding Principles.
- Experience working in and fostering an inclusive environment working as part of a multidisciplinary team and working effectively with persons from diverse cultural, social, and ethnic backgrounds.
- One (1) to five (5) years of experience in an investment or analytical role with demonstrable understanding of various asset classes and associated capital markets, economics, quantitative risk management, and portfolio management theory with an appreciation for endowment and foundation investing techniques.
- Strong quantitative skills with a firm understanding of statistical analysis. Extensive experience in gathering, cleaning, and manipulation of financial data using SQL, Matlab, and Python. Analysis and reporting with R and Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and experience with file sharing systems (Dropbox, Google docs).
- Able to work and think independently and in teams with confidence.
- Intellectually curious; able to apply learning to work responsibilities.
- Collaborative, collegial, team-oriented, and energetic; able to develop productive relationships with colleagues and external partners.
- Strong time, project, and people management skills; able to balance multiple priorities.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Able to make decisions to justify recommendations.
- Able to travel as required.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Econometrics, Informatics, Data Science, Statistics, Computational Finance, Engineering, hard sciences, or related fields or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
The analyst will perform job duties in a typical business office environment. Specific physical abilities required by this job include operating basic office equipment. Will be required to attend meetings, potentially both in person and off-site via phone or videoconference.
How to Apply
Submit your resume and letter of interest.
Application Deadline: December 19, 2021