The Path to Pitch Day
At Pioneer, we’re always looking for ideas with the potential to transform health and health care. In August 2013, we tried something a little different: We asked people to share their ideas, but to limit their proposals to 1,000 characters or less. More than 500 people rose to the challenge, submitting their ideas over a three-week period. Eight finalists were invited to pitch their ideas live and in person to an esteemed panel of judges, including angel investor Esther Dyson and Rhode Island School of Design President John Maeda. Thomas Goetz, RWJF entrepreneur-in-residence and former executive editor of Wired, emceed the event on October 16 at AppNexus' New York City headquarters.
In the end, three presentations rose to the top and were invited to submit a full proposal for potential funding. Congratulations to the Pitch Day winners!
- Fred Trotter, "Breaking Barriers in Medical Knowledge"
- Laura Esserman, "Implementing Risk-Based Cancer Screening Using an Adaptive Learning Engine"
- Sarah Henrickson Parker, Allan Fong and Raj Ratwani, "Creating a Social Epidemic of Safety"
Pitch Day was also a great opportunity to meet new people and build our community of innovators. Read about our experience on the Pioneering Ideas blog.
Learn more about pitch Day
- “Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Holds Pioneer Pitch Day to Promote Innovation, Transparency, and Entrepreneurship,” Transparency Talk
- “Risk-based cancer screening, open data ideas win more time with Robert Wood Johnson Foundation,” MedCity News
- “Perspectives from Pioneers in Health and Health Care,” Pioneering Ideas Podcast
Pitch Day Judges
- Senior Program Officer Deborah Bae
- Senior Advisor for Program Development Nancy Barrand
- Chief Technology Officer Steve Downs (@stephenjdowns)
- Leading Angel Investor Esther Dyson (@edyson)
- PatientsLikeMe Co-Founder and President Ben Heywood (@bheywood)
- Senior Vice President and Director of the Health Care Group John R. Lumpkin (@jrlumpkin)
- Rhode Island School of Design President John Maeda (@johnmaeda)
- Associate Vice President of Communications Fred Mann
- IDEO Life Sciences Chief Strategist Rodrigo Martinez (@rodrigoatcg)
- Pioneer Interim Team Director Lori Melichar (@lorimelichar)
- Senior Program Officer Mike Painter (@paintmd)
- Games for Health Co-Founder Ben Sawyer (@bensawyer)
- Fast Company Staff Writer Ben Schiller (@btschiller)
- Senior Program Officer Paul Tarini (@paultarini)
- NPR Science Correspondent Shankar Vedantam (@hiddenbrain)
Learn About the Finalists
Read our interviews with the eight finalists to learn about their ideas.