*NOTE: The Future of Nursing Scholars program will not provide scholarships to individual nurses seeking their PhDs. The schools that are funded by this program will select the students who will receive scholarships and other support. Subscribe to www.rwjf.org for nursing issues for information as it becomes available, and check the schools in your area next year to see if they have received an award and are selecting scholars for this program.
The Future of Nursing Scholars program is designed to dramatically increase the number of PhD-prepared nurses in the United States.
- The Future of Nursing Scholars program will create a diverse cadre of PhD-prepared nurses who are committed to long-term leadership careers that advance science and discovery through research, strengthen nursing education, and bring transformational change to nursing and health care.
- This three year program will provide financial support, mentoring, leadership development activities, and postdoctoral research funding to build the leadership capacity of nurse educators and researchers.
- RWJF will contribute $20 million over five years to support the program activities. To expand the reach of the program, the foundation has also developed a strategic philanthropic collaborative to engage other donors dedicated to transforming nursing and health care. Independence Blue Cross Foundation and United Health Group have committed funds and additional donors will soon join as well.
- The program office is located at the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing. The Future of Nursing Scholars program is directed by Julie Fairman, PhD, RN, FAAN, Nightingale Professor of Nursing and director, Bates Center for the Study of the History of Nursing at the University of Pennsylvania and Susan B. Hassmiller, PhD, RN, FAAN, RWJF senior adviser for nursing.
- February 2014 – Call for Proposals released. Applications must be submitted by the academic institution.
- April 2014 – Proposals due from schools.
- Fall 2014 – Inaugural cohort of Future of Nursing Scholars will enroll in three-year PhD Programs.
To learn more about the Future of Nursing Scholars program, contact the National Program Office:
Heather Kelley-Thompson, MA
Phone: (215) 898-9836
To learn more about joining the philanthropic collaborative, contact the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation:
Maryjoan D. Ladden, PhD, RN, FAAN, RWJF senior program officer
Phone: (609) 627-6157