"The need for an endgame comes from the recognition that we do not have to accept the industrial marketing of tobacco, and that current policies—successful as they have often been—will likely not make the tobacco problem disappear. Those policies were never intended to eliminate the tobacco industry; the best case scenario they offer involves endless skirmishes with the industry’s ongoing attempts to expand its markets and thwart regulation. Discussion of an endgame can inspire new visions of the possible."
"These new visions will come with new challenges. The shift from a movement focused on control to one aiming towards a tobacco-free future may reveal new rifts. Some of these may come from differing ideas about what a desirable endpoint is."
—Excerpted from a special supplement of Tobacco Control.
- 1. Questions For a Tobacco-Free Future
- 2. Minimising the Harm from Nicotine Use
- 3. Supply-Side Options for an Endgame for the Tobacco Industry
- 4. Reducing the Nicotine Content to Make Cigarettes Less Addictive
- 5. Potential Advantages and Disadvantages of an Endgame Strategy
- 6. The Tobacco-Free Generation Proposal
- 7. Why Ban the Sale of Cigarettes?
- 8. Ending Versus Controlling Versus Employing Addiction in the Tobacco-Caused Disease Endgame
- 9. Large-Scale Unassisted Smoking Cessation Over 50 Years
- 10. Ending Tobacco-Caused Mortality and Morbidity
- 11. There's No Single Endgame
- 12. Reflections on the "Endgame" for Tobacco Control
- 13. Tobacco Endgames
- 14. The FCTC's Evidence-Based Policies Remain A Key to Ending the Tobacco Epidemic
- 15. Cultivating the Next Generation of Tobacco Endgame Advocates
- 16. Can Tobacco Control Endgame Analysis Learn Anything From the U.S. Experience With Illegal Drugs?
- 17. Political Impediments to a Tobacco End-Game
- 18. Tobacco Endgame Strategies
- 19. In and Across Bureaucracy
RWJF examines the types of competitive foods - foods and beverages schools offer outside of meal programs - available in our nation's school...
Progress and lessons learned from two programs that seek to advance the impact digital games can have on health.
Joint Commission Resources in Oak Brook Ill., oversaw development and testing of an online course and support materials to improve communica...
The rapid rise of antibiotic resistance can be tracked using ResistanceMap, an online tool that visually highlights regions of the country w...
Report examines, compares and contrasts Massachusetts and Utah health insurance exchanges.
Report examines issues states will face as they integrate Medicaid into the exchange.
This poll shows most Americans believe the quality of U.S. health care is average at best. More than half of American adults surveyed barely...
Want to improve health? Start with where we live, work, learn and play.
Health care reform may create incentives to spur the growth in HDHPs and CDHPs, a move that might help hold costs down?at least for a time.
The authors suggest repairing the health care system by realigning provider incentives, increasing the availability of information with whic...
While the ACA is aimed primarily at improving individual health by increasing access to health insurance, it also contains a number of provi...