This chapter, in Volume XV of To Improve Health and Health Care, explores a new and important source of data, the County Health Rankings.
Irene Wielawski, a veteran health care journalist, examines the way in which the rankings are used, especially through the County Health Roadmaps, to encourage local policies that improve the community’s health. In a sense, the County Health Rankings & Roadmaps merge the Foundation’s long-standing interest in good data with its newer interest in activities to improve the health of entire populations and communities. And, as Wielawski observes, the County Health Rankings have, in fact, spurred action to improve population health at the local level—either directly through interventions that encourage better health or indirectly through job creation and economic development.
Read the NewPublic Health blog.
- 1 The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation at Forty
- 2 A Conversation with Risa Lavizzo-Mourey
- 3 Terrance Keenan: An Appreciation
- 4 The Five Cs
- 5 The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Approach to Evaluation
- 6 Communications at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation: Turning up the Volume, Adjusting the Frequency
- 7 National Programs: Understanding the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Approach to Grantmaking
- 8 Tending Our Backyard: The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Grantmaking in New Jersey
- 9 Project ECHO: Bringing Specialists' Expertise to Underserved Rural Areas
- 10 The Food Trust: Increasing the Availability of Healthy Food
- 11 Populating Population Health: The Health & Society Scholars and the Young Epidemiology Scholars Programs
- 12 Child FIRST: A Program to Help Very Young At-Risk Children
- 13 County Health Rankings & Roadmaps
Learn how The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation is dedicated to building a culture of health in Risa Lavizzo-Mourey's 2014 annual message.
RWJF Nurse Faculty Scholar Jennifer Bellot writes about losing her grandmother to complications from a medical error.
Developing small community homes as alternatives to nursing homes, this radical, new national model for skilled nursing care returns control...
How the tragic loss of a dancer's leg led to a Culture of Health within the team that restored her mobility.
The County Health Rankings & Roadmaps can be put to use right away to help create a culture of health in your community.
Organizations across the country are showing their support for the Commission's recommendations. Read their endorsements and join the Commis...
Head Start-Trauma Smart (HS-TS) is an early childhood trauma intervention model that addresses the effects of complex trauma for young presc...
A new paper reports on the proceedings of an unprecedented meeting that brought together diverse leaders from community colleges around the ...
The reconvened Commission to Build a Healthier America will provide new guidance in three key areas: early childhood, healthy communities, a...
Unengaged patients can incur costs of up to 21% higher than patients who are highly engaged in care. This suite of materials from RWJF's AF4...
The RWJF DataHub tracks state-level data, and allows visitors to customize and visualize facts and figures.