This resource guide will assist community advocates in identifying and engaging in key advocacy strategies to help reduce the burden of childhood obesity, especially in low-income communities and communities of color.
The epidemic of childhood obesity has been escalating over the last three decades; and left unchecked, this will be the first generation to not outlive their parents. Individual education and personal behavior change are important components of the overall solution. However, advocating for comprehensive policies in schools, improving built environments, and reducing food deserts that are prevalent in vulnerable communities is critical for ensuring that people have opportunities to make healthy choices.
Engaging in advocacy gives communities a voice in the public debate about how to improve children’s health outcomes. Long-term health improvements can be achieved when residents are involved in the decision-making process and communities and policy-makers work together to bring about change.
- 1. The Value of Leadership Development
- 2. The Value of Regional-Level Work
- 3. Jammin' Minute
- 4. Naperville High School
- 5. Opportunity Link's North Central Montana Transit Initiative
- 6. Safe Routes to School at Maybury Elementary School in Detroit
- 7. Youth Advocacy
- 8. Advocacy to Reverse Childhood Obesity
- 9. Resource List for Childhood Obesity Advocacy
- 10. Advocacy Resource Guide
- 11. Community Engagement Resource Guide: Why Use it?
- 12. Community Engagement Resource Guide
- 13. Community Engagement Resource List
- 14. Keeping Kids Moving
- 15. Keeping Kids Moving: How Equitable Transportation Policy Can Prevent Childhood Obesity - What It Is
- 16. Making Schools the Model for Healthier Environments Toolkit
- 17. Making Schools the Model for Healthier Environments Toolkit
- 18. Making Schools the Model for Healthier Environments Toolkit: General School Nutrition Resources
- 19. Making the Grade
- 20. Making the Grade: Reversing Childhood Obesity in School Districts Toolkit - What Is It?
- 21. Making the Grade