Public health leaders are being challenged to do more with less: to maintain essential public health services and improve population health with diminishing resources. Public health performance measures—which also establish thresholds for accreditation of public health departments—provide a way to evaluate quality improvement interventions.
These investigators examined quality improvement interventions that sought to improve public health service performance and the public’s health. They searched the literature and found 18 studies to examine that fit their criteria. The studies fell into three functional categories: (1) organization-wide quality improvement interventions; (2) program- or service-related improvement interventions; and (3) administrative or management practice improvements.
They identified some common themes among the interventions:
- Program-specific studies started with the assessment of the current practice in order to establish a baseline for measuring against.
- Several studies first identified and collected performance measures or indicators that would be useful to mark improvements.
- Engagement of top-level leaders was key to successful quality improvement initiatives.
Public health still has a way to go in order to demonstrate that improving public health performance improves health outcomes. Economic evaluations of quality improvement efforts, however, could help public health leaders communicate with policy-makers and set public health priorities.
- 1. New Public Health Services and Systems Research Agenda
- 2. Building an Effective Workforce
- 3. Public Health Workforce Research in Review
- 4. The Structure and Organization of Local and State Public Health Agencies in the U.S.
- 5. Methods in Public Health Services and Systems Research
- 6. Quality Improvement Interventions in Public Health Systems
- 7. Public Health Services and Systems Research
- 8. The Value of Public Health Services and Systems Research
RWJF examines the types of competitive foods - foods and beverages schools offer outside of meal programs - available in our nation's school...
List of most current annual reports.
Learn how the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation is dedicated to building a Culture of Health in Risa Lavizzo-Mourey's 2014 annual message.
This is a list of the Foundation's audited financial statements and form 990-PF.
Risa Lavizzo-Mourey reflects on the Foundation’s bold new vision in which we, as a nation, will strive together to create a culture of healt...
Highlights from the Foundation's many stories and articles, enterprise-wide.
The County Health Rankings & Roadmaps can be put to use right away to help create a culture of health in your community.
Live webcast event on March 26, 2014 at 12:30 p.m. ET for the release of the 2014 County Health Rankings.
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation is working to increase awareness and understanding of the impact of ACEs and the need to develop effectiv...
The Foundation spoke with Martha Davis, Executive Director for the Institute for Safe Families, on how leaders are changing the landscape of...
A growing network of leaders in research, policy and practice are leading the way in preventing adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) and mit...