Public health services and systems research (PHSSR) produces evidence about the organization, financing, delivery and effectiveness of public health services within communities.
In 2004, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation began a 10-year investment in PHSSR. In 2009, it commissioned this study to answer two questions:
- Who are the researchers, practitioners and policy-makers engaged in PHSSR?
- What are their expertise, sources of funding, collaboration patterns, productivity and challenges?
A 27-item survey was e-mailed to 2,067 individuals active in PHSSR groups. Response rate was 41 percent. Respondents identified their areas of expertise as:
- Health policy management (52%)
- Quality improvement/outcome evaluation (48%)
- Social and behavioral sciences (44%)
- Public health practice (43%)
Half the respondents began their involvement in PHSSR before 2004, half after 2004. Compared to newcomers, early group members were likely to be over age 50, hold a doctorate, twice as likely to collaborate with colleagues and twice as likely to be published. Both groups were equally likely to receive funding.
One-third of all respondents had difficulty translating research into public health practice. To address this issue, the authors suggest a research agenda that systematically delineates gaps in knowledge and guides development of data and resources.
- 1 The Ongoing Quality Improvement Journey
- 2 A Road Map for Improving the Performance of Performance Measures
- 3 The Trade-Off Among Quality, Quantity, and Cost
- 4 Global Trigger Tool' Shows that Adverse Events in Hospitals May be Ten Times Greater Than Previously Measured
- 5 Preventing Bloodstream Infections
- 6 Measuring the Performance of Individual Physicians by Collecting Data from Multiple Health Plans
- 7 Measuring Health Care Performance Now, Not Tomorrow
- 8 Despite Improved Quality of Care in the Veterans Affairs Health System, Racial Disparity Persists for Important Clinical Outcomes
- 9 The Importance of Transitional Care in Achieving Health Reform
- 10 An Early Status Report on the Beacon Communities' Plans for Transformation Via Health Information Technology
- 11 A Comparative Study of 11 Local Health Department Organizational Networks
- 12 Public Health Performance
- 13 A Self-Assessment Process for Accreditation Preparedness
- 14 Public Health Delivery Systems
- 15 Regionalization in Local Public Health Systems
- 16 Public Health Services and Systems Research
- 17 A Shot in the Rear, Not a Shot in the Dark
- 18 What Predicts Local Public Health Agency Performance Improvement?
- 19 Growth of a Scientific Community of Practice
- 20 Evolution of Coauthorship in Public Health Services and Systems Research
- 21 Resources that May Matter
- 22 Evidence Links Increases in Public Health Spending to Declines in Preventable Deaths
- 23 Public Health Financial Management Competencies
- 24 Decision Science
- 25 Public Health Financial Management Needs
- 26 Data-Driven Management Strategies in Public Health Collaboratives
- 27 Using Geographic Information Systems to Match Local Health Needs with Public Health Services and Programs
- 28 Public Health Systems and Services Research
- 29 Local Public Health Capacities to Address the Needs of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Populations
- 30 A Needs Assessment for Data and Methods in Public Health Systems Research
- 31 Mapping the Multidisciplinary Field of Public Health Services and Systems Research
RWJF Nurse Faculty Scholar Jennifer Bellot writes about losing her grandmother to complications from a medical error.
The County Health Rankings & Roadmaps can be put to use right away to help create a culture of health in your community.
Learn how The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation is dedicated to building a culture of health in Risa Lavizzo-Mourey's 2014 annual message.
Developing small community homes as alternatives to nursing homes, this radical, new national model for skilled nursing care returns control...
A new paper reports on the proceedings of an unprecedented meeting that brought together diverse leaders from community colleges around the ...
As part of National Public Health Week, PHLR—a grantee of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation—has been participating in the week by contribut...
Team members, grantees, and guests discuss breakthrough ideas that will allow us to move toward solving challenges in health care.
The reconvened Commission to Build a Healthier America will provide new guidance in three key areas: early childhood, healthy communities, a...
Study: Banning Chocolate Milk in Elementary Schools Also Decreases Overall Sales, Increases Waste - CDC: Significant Drops in Five Major Di...
List of most current annual reports.
The RWJF DataHub tracks state-level data, and allows visitors to customize and visualize facts and figures.