Both government and private health care systems have engaged in efforts to improve quality, but the effect of these initiatives on racial and ethnic disparities has not been well studied.
In the decade following an organizational transformation, the Veterans Affairs (VA) health care system achieved substantial improvements in quality of care with minimal racial disparities for most process-of-care measures, such as rates of cholesterol screenings. However, in this study researchers observed a striking disconnect between high levels of performance on widely used process measures and modest levels of improvement in clinical outcomes, such as control of blood pressure, blood glucose, and cholesterol levels.
They also observed a gap in clinical outcomes of as much as 9 percentage points between African-American veterans and White veterans. Almost all of the disparity in outcomes in the VA was explained by within-facility disparity, which suggests that VA medical centers need to measure and address racial gaps in care for their patient populations. Moreover, because cardiovascular disease and diabetes are major contributors to racial disparities in life expectancy, the findings of this study and others underscore the urgency of focused efforts to improve intermediate outcomes among African-Americans in the VA and other settings.
- 1. The Ongoing Quality Improvement Journey
- 2. A Road Map for Improving the Performance of Performance Measures
- 3. The Trade-Off Among Quality, Quantity, and Cost
- 4. Global Trigger Tool' Shows that Adverse Events in Hospitals May be Ten Times Greater Than Previously Measured
- 5. Preventing Bloodstream Infections
- 6. Measuring the Performance of Individual Physicians by Collecting Data from Multiple Health Plans
- 7. Measuring Health Care Performance Now, Not Tomorrow
- 8. Despite Improved Quality of Care in the Veterans Affairs Health System, Racial Disparity Persists for Important Clinical Outcomes
- 9. The Importance of Transitional Care in Achieving Health Reform
- 10. An Early Status Report on the Beacon Communities' Plans for Transformation Via Health Information Technology
- 11. A Comparative Study of 11 Local Health Department Organizational Networks
- 12. Public Health Performance
- 13. A Self-Assessment Process for Accreditation Preparedness
- 14. Public Health Delivery Systems
- 15. Regionalization in Local Public Health Systems
- 16. Public Health Services and Systems Research
- 17. A Shot in the Rear, Not a Shot in the Dark
- 18. What Predicts Local Public Health Agency Performance Improvement?
- 19. Growth of a Scientific Community of Practice
- 20. Evolution of Coauthorship in Public Health Services and Systems Research
- 21. Resources that May Matter
- 22. Evidence Links Increases in Public Health Spending to Declines in Preventable Deaths
- 23. Public Health Financial Management Competencies
- 24. Decision Science
- 25. Public Health Financial Management Needs
- 26. Data-Driven Management Strategies in Public Health Collaboratives
- 27. Using Geographic Information Systems to Match Local Health Needs with Public Health Services and Programs
- 28. Public Health Systems and Services Research
- 29. Local Public Health Capacities to Address the Needs of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Populations
- 30. A Needs Assessment for Data and Methods in Public Health Systems Research
- 31. Mapping the Multidisciplinary Field of Public Health Services and Systems Research
Report examines, compares and contrasts Massachusetts and Utah health insurance exchanges.
Report examines issues states will face as they integrate Medicaid into the exchange.
Want to improve health? Start with where we live, work, learn and play.
Health care reform may create incentives to spur the growth in HDHPs and CDHPs, a move that might help hold costs down?at least for a time.
The authors suggest repairing the health care system by realigning provider incentives, increasing the availability of information with whic...
While the ACA is aimed primarily at improving individual health by increasing access to health insurance, it also contains a number of provi...