The Communication and Care Plan (CCP) is an online information tool customized to the needs of breast cancer patients and treatment providers.
During breast cancer treatment, women often receive care from many different institutions and medical offices. The treatment process can feel fragmented and confusing.
This article describes the development of CCP, a patient-centered online information system for breast cancer patients and providers.
The authors conducted focus groups with patients and providers. Patients and providers discussed their values, needs and concerns about an online tool for managing treatment information. Using the focus group information, the authors designed prototypes in white-board, Flash and PowerPoint®. The initial prototypes allowed researchers to inexpensively and rapidly experiment with several designs. Finally, combining information from the focus groups and tests of preliminary prototypes, the authors designed the final CCP prototype.
- Using the CCP treatment planner, providers construct a treatment plan as a sequence of events.
- Patients click a specific event on their treatment calendars to retrieve detailed information about that treatment.
- Patients can integrate their personal schedule into their treatment calendar.
The authors aregue that our health care and health information systems are not patient-centered. When designing a course of treatment, providers often forget to account for the patient’s personal needs.
This article describes the creation of CCP, a patient-centered online information management tool for breast cancer patients and treatment providers. CCP demonstrates that patient-centered care holds advantages for patients and providers. This project received funding from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation through Project HealthDesign.
- 1. The Communication and Care Plan
- 2. Living Profiles
- 3. Towards a Personal Health Management Assistant
- 4. Evolution of a Web-Based, Prototype Personal Health Application for Diabetes Self-Management
- 5. Colorado Care Tablet
- 6. MyMediHealth
- 7. Design of a Handheld Electronic Pain, Treatment and Activity Diary
- 8. Designing Mobile Support for Glycemic Control in Patients with Diabetes
- 9. A Method to Implement Fine-Grained Access Control for Personal Health Records Through Standard Relational Database Queries
- 10. Ethical, Legal and Social Issues for Personal Health Records and Applications
RWJF examines the types of competitive foods - foods and beverages schools offer outside of meal programs - available in our nation's school...
Progress and lessons learned from two programs that seek to advance the impact digital games can have on health.
Joint Commission Resources in Oak Brook Ill., oversaw development and testing of an online course and support materials to improve communica...
The rapid rise of antibiotic resistance can be tracked using ResistanceMap, an online tool that visually highlights regions of the country w...
Report examines, compares and contrasts Massachusetts and Utah health insurance exchanges.
Report examines issues states will face as they integrate Medicaid into the exchange.
This poll shows most Americans believe the quality of U.S. health care is average at best. More than half of American adults surveyed barely...
Want to improve health? Start with where we live, work, learn and play.
Health care reform may create incentives to spur the growth in HDHPs and CDHPs, a move that might help hold costs down?at least for a time.
The authors suggest repairing the health care system by realigning provider incentives, increasing the availability of information with whic...
While the ACA is aimed primarily at improving individual health by increasing access to health insurance, it also contains a number of provi...