Community-based dental education is likely to become an integral part of the dental educational system.
This chapter introduces the first section of this special supplement of Journal of Dental Education on the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Pipeline, Profession, and Practice: Community-Based Dental Education (CBDE) program. The issue’s first section analyzes the organization and management of CBDE programs. The authors are experienced dental faculty members who participated in the Pipeline program.
This introduction discusses the history of dental education in the U.S. Topics include: disparities in access to dental care, the nature of community dental clinics and the rationale for community-based dental care.
- A 2009 study from the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) found that students are spending more time in community clinics and practices—the most significant change in dental school curriculums in 10 years.
- A decrease in government financial support is straining the resources of state dental schools. When schools increase enrollment to raise revenue, they become overcrowded; community rotations open up more teaching space.
- A goal of the Pipeline program was to have senior dental students spend an average of 60 days treating underserved patients in patient-centered community clinics and practices.
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, with the California Endowment, implemented the Pipeline, Profession, and Practice: Community-Based Dental Education (CBDE) program in response to a nationwide challenge from the U.S. Surgeon General. The Pipeline program brought dental care to underserved communities and increased dental school enrollment among low-income and minority students.
- 1. Foreword to Special Supplement of Journal of Dental Education
- 2. Organization and Management of Community-Based Dental Education Programs
- 3. Infrastructure for a Community-Based Dental Education Program
- 4. Management of Experiences in Community-Based Dental Education
- 5. Financial Impact of Community-Based Dental Education
- 6. The Impact of Community-Based Dental Education on Students
- 7. The Experiences of Community Dental Clinic Directors with Dental Students and Dental School Collaborations
- 8. Reflections on the Dental Pipeline Program¿s Efforts Regarding Community-Based Dental Education
- 9. Underrepresented Minority Dental Student Recruitment and Enrollment Programs
- 10. Components of Effective Outreach and Recruitment Programs for Underrepresented Minority and Low-Income Dental Students
- 11. Effective Admissions Practices to Achieve Greater Student Diversity in Dental Schools
- 12. The Role of the Dental School Environment in Promoting Greater Student Diversity
- 13. The Role of Enrichment Programs in Strengthening the Academic Pipeline to Dental Education
- 14. Reflections on the Dental Pipeline Program¿s Efforts Regarding Underrepresented Minority Dental Students
RWJF examines the types of competitive foods - foods and beverages schools offer outside of meal programs - available in our nation's school...
Recent studies have demonstrated a connection between low-socioeconomic status and poor health in children. This study builds upon previous ...
This study examined the impact that race has on the prevalence of self-reported diabetes for Hispanic and non-Hispanic people. Data from the...
In this article, the authors consider the social, structural and symbolic effects of the recent and rapid spread of legal gambling in the Un...
Immigrants and their children are one of the fastest growing components of the U.S. population. One in five Americans under the age of 18 is...
Most studies investigating links between social capital and health have relied on work by Robert Putnam who conceptualized social capital as...
The present article considered cardiovascular patients' adherence to physicians' medication recommendations. Nonadherence was defined as fol...
This study examined the prevalence of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) among children in the United States. Also of interest ...
The current article explored risk factors for iron deficiency for toddlers in the United States with a focus on Hispanic toddlers. Data from...
The research presented in this article compared the density and concentration of pro-tobacco media messages in African-American and White ma...
This article describes efforts to use information on influenza burden and vaccine efficacy to estimate how influenza vaccine recommendations...