Community-based dental education is likely to become an integral part of the dental educational system.
This chapter introduces the first section of this special supplement of Journal of Dental Education on the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Pipeline, Profession, and Practice: Community-Based Dental Education (CBDE) program. The issue’s first section analyzes the organization and management of CBDE programs. The authors are experienced dental faculty members who participated in the Pipeline program.
This introduction discusses the history of dental education in the U.S. Topics include: disparities in access to dental care, the nature of community dental clinics and the rationale for community-based dental care.
- A 2009 study from the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) found that students are spending more time in community clinics and practices—the most significant change in dental school curriculums in 10 years.
- A decrease in government financial support is straining the resources of state dental schools. When schools increase enrollment to raise revenue, they become overcrowded; community rotations open up more teaching space.
- A goal of the Pipeline program was to have senior dental students spend an average of 60 days treating underserved patients in patient-centered community clinics and practices.
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, with the California Endowment, implemented the Pipeline, Profession, and Practice: Community-Based Dental Education (CBDE) program in response to a nationwide challenge from the U.S. Surgeon General. The Pipeline program brought dental care to underserved communities and increased dental school enrollment among low-income and minority students.
- 1 Foreword to Special Supplement of Journal of Dental Education
- 2 Organization and Management of Community-Based Dental Education Programs
- 3 Infrastructure for a Community-Based Dental Education Program
- 4 Management of Experiences in Community-Based Dental Education
- 5 Financial Impact of Community-Based Dental Education
- 6 The Impact of Community-Based Dental Education on Students
- 7 The Experiences of Community Dental Clinic Directors with Dental Students and Dental School Collaborations
- 8 Reflections on the Dental Pipeline Program¿s Efforts Regarding Community-Based Dental Education
- 9 Underrepresented Minority Dental Student Recruitment and Enrollment Programs
- 10 Components of Effective Outreach and Recruitment Programs for Underrepresented Minority and Low-Income Dental Students
- 11 Effective Admissions Practices to Achieve Greater Student Diversity in Dental Schools
- 12 The Role of the Dental School Environment in Promoting Greater Student Diversity
- 13 The Role of Enrichment Programs in Strengthening the Academic Pipeline to Dental Education
- 14 Reflections on the Dental Pipeline Program¿s Efforts Regarding Underrepresented Minority Dental Students
This month the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health published a special issue of its magazine devoted to food.
Unengaged patients can incur costs of up to 21% higher than patients who are highly engaged in care. This suite of materials from RWJF's AF4...
The LEAP project identified 30 primary care practices that use health professionals and other staff in ways that maximize access to their se...
List of most current annual reports.
Adverse working conditions contribute substantially to the risk of depression for working-age adults, according to new research from a team ...
Learn how The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation is dedicated to building a culture of health in Risa Lavizzo-Mourey's 2014 annual message.
The Health and Medical Care Archives at the University of Michigan's Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research is the of...
A national conversation highlighting efforts to improve care transitions, reduce avoidable hospital readmissions, and lift overall quality o...
Hilary Levey Friedman, author of Playing to Win: Raising Children in a Competitive Culture, writes about youth sports.
The reconvened Commission to Build a Healthier America will provide new guidance in three key areas: early childhood, healthy communities, a...
The RWJF DataHub tracks state-level data, and allows visitors to customize and visualize facts and figures.