Community service-learning rotations at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) College of Dentistry are a model for community-based dental education (CBDE); upon completing rotations, seniors can handle four to seven patients per day.
UIC began its community-based service learning program in 2008. During the 2008-2009 school year, 12 students alternated, every two weeks, between community sites and clinical practice at the college. By the 2011-2012 academic year, all 64 senior students will make rotations in community dental clinics.
From this special issue of the Journal of Dental Education featuring the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s Dental Pipeline program, this chapter describes student experiences and the implementation of community-based service-learning at UIC.
- As a result of community rotations, dental students become more efficient in providing oral health services; when students return from community rotations, improved efficiency in treating patients can offset revenue lost as a result of the student’s absence.
- At the annual “Spring Fest” senior students setup information booths. Each booth represents a community site. Third-year students, preparing for community rotations, circulate among the booths, asking seniors about each site.
- Before developing its community-based service-learning curriculum, many UIC faculty members believed that community clinics provided inferior care and were poorly maintained. Implementing the program dispelled these false assumptions
Students in the UIC community service-learning program progress from orientation to direct supervision to indirect supervision under a preceptor. From the special issue on the Pipeline, Profession, and Practice: Community-Based Dental Education program, this chapter discusses student experiences and the implementation of CBDE at UIC.
- 1. Foreword to Special Supplement of Journal of Dental Education
- 2. Organization and Management of Community-Based Dental Education Programs
- 3. Infrastructure for a Community-Based Dental Education Program
- 4. Management of Experiences in Community-Based Dental Education
- 5. Financial Impact of Community-Based Dental Education
- 6. The Impact of Community-Based Dental Education on Students
- 7. The Experiences of Community Dental Clinic Directors with Dental Students and Dental School Collaborations
- 8. Reflections on the Dental Pipeline Program¿s Efforts Regarding Community-Based Dental Education
- 9. Underrepresented Minority Dental Student Recruitment and Enrollment Programs
- 10. Components of Effective Outreach and Recruitment Programs for Underrepresented Minority and Low-Income Dental Students
- 11. Effective Admissions Practices to Achieve Greater Student Diversity in Dental Schools
- 12. The Role of the Dental School Environment in Promoting Greater Student Diversity
- 13. The Role of Enrichment Programs in Strengthening the Academic Pipeline to Dental Education
- 14. Reflections on the Dental Pipeline Program¿s Efforts Regarding Underrepresented Minority Dental Students
RWJF examines the types of competitive foods - foods and beverages schools offer outside of meal programs - available in our nation's school...
Recent studies have demonstrated a connection between low-socioeconomic status and poor health in children. This study builds upon previous ...
This study examined the impact that race has on the prevalence of self-reported diabetes for Hispanic and non-Hispanic people. Data from the...
In this article, the authors consider the social, structural and symbolic effects of the recent and rapid spread of legal gambling in the Un...
Immigrants and their children are one of the fastest growing components of the U.S. population. One in five Americans under the age of 18 is...
Most studies investigating links between social capital and health have relied on work by Robert Putnam who conceptualized social capital as...
The present article considered cardiovascular patients' adherence to physicians' medication recommendations. Nonadherence was defined as fol...
This study examined the prevalence of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) among children in the United States. Also of interest ...
The current article explored risk factors for iron deficiency for toddlers in the United States with a focus on Hispanic toddlers. Data from...
The research presented in this article compared the density and concentration of pro-tobacco media messages in African-American and White ma...
This article describes efforts to use information on influenza burden and vaccine efficacy to estimate how influenza vaccine recommendations...