Careful planning and preparation are necessary for dental students, community members and dental schools to maximize the benefits of community-based dental education (CBDE).
Before entering rotations in community clinics, students must undergo cultural training and understand the basic functions of a dental clinic. Proper student orientation and a good match between student and clinic are essential components of CBDE infrastructure.
This chapter of this special issue of the Journal of Dental Education on the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Pipeline, Profession, and Practice: Community-Based Dental Education program discusses the necessary infrastructure of any CBDE program. The authors consider how students prepare for working in the community and the selection of community sites. In addition, the authors compare the experiences of students who participate in shorter and longer rotation cycles. Other topics include: transportation and housing; pre-rotation orientation; legal liability; and the memorandum of understanding that forms a partnership between a dental school and a community clinic.
- At Boston University, 10-week rotations resulted in greater clinical productivity and clinical experience for students compared to six-week rotations; students in the 10-week rotations performed 35 percent more procedures per week and 122 percent more procedures overall.
- The selection of a clinical dental mentor is a crucial factor in a successful CBDE program.
- Community sites that are a contrast to a school’s educational environment will expose students to unfamiliar systems and people.
When a community dental clinic decides to host a dental student, the site becomes an educational facility. This chapter on the Pipeline CBDE program, funded by the Robert Wood Johnson foundation and the California Endowment, explores issues related to setting up a successful CBDE.
- 1. Foreword to Special Supplement of Journal of Dental Education
- 2. Organization and Management of Community-Based Dental Education Programs
- 3. Infrastructure for a Community-Based Dental Education Program
- 4. Management of Experiences in Community-Based Dental Education
- 5. Financial Impact of Community-Based Dental Education
- 6. The Impact of Community-Based Dental Education on Students
- 7. The Experiences of Community Dental Clinic Directors with Dental Students and Dental School Collaborations
- 8. Reflections on the Dental Pipeline Program¿s Efforts Regarding Community-Based Dental Education
- 9. Underrepresented Minority Dental Student Recruitment and Enrollment Programs
- 10. Components of Effective Outreach and Recruitment Programs for Underrepresented Minority and Low-Income Dental Students
- 11. Effective Admissions Practices to Achieve Greater Student Diversity in Dental Schools
- 12. The Role of the Dental School Environment in Promoting Greater Student Diversity
- 13. The Role of Enrichment Programs in Strengthening the Academic Pipeline to Dental Education
- 14. Reflections on the Dental Pipeline Program¿s Efforts Regarding Underrepresented Minority Dental Students
RWJF examines the types of competitive foods - foods and beverages schools offer outside of meal programs - available in our nation's school...
Recent studies have demonstrated a connection between low-socioeconomic status and poor health in children. This study builds upon previous ...
This study examined the impact that race has on the prevalence of self-reported diabetes for Hispanic and non-Hispanic people. Data from the...
In this article, the authors consider the social, structural and symbolic effects of the recent and rapid spread of legal gambling in the Un...
Immigrants and their children are one of the fastest growing components of the U.S. population. One in five Americans under the age of 18 is...
Most studies investigating links between social capital and health have relied on work by Robert Putnam who conceptualized social capital as...
The present article considered cardiovascular patients' adherence to physicians' medication recommendations. Nonadherence was defined as fol...
This study examined the prevalence of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) among children in the United States. Also of interest ...
The current article explored risk factors for iron deficiency for toddlers in the United States with a focus on Hispanic toddlers. Data from...
The research presented in this article compared the density and concentration of pro-tobacco media messages in African-American and White ma...
This article describes efforts to use information on influenza burden and vaccine efficacy to estimate how influenza vaccine recommendations...