Risa Lavizzo-Mourey, President and CEO of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF), prefaces this special issue of the Journal of Dental Education on RWJF's Pipeline, Profession, and Practice: Community Based Dental Education.
Over the past 35 years, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) has funded many projects to improve access to dental care. Yet people who have low incomes, who are disabled or live in rural areas still have less access to care and poorer dental health than their wealthier urban and suburban counterparts.
To begin to address dental access disparities and the shortage of underrepresented minorities attending dental school and practicing, RWJF established the Pipeline, Profession and Practice: Community-Based Dental Education program in 2001. The five-year program focused on increasing enrollment of African-American, Hispanic and Native American dental students and on enriching educational programs to prepare students to care for patients from diverse populations.
The success of the program and the positive response of the dental education community led to expansion of the Pipeline program, including grants to additional schools. Now the challenge is to more broadly expand community dental education and minority recruitment programs.
This supplement to the Journal of Dental Education provides practical advice from Pipeline program co-directors on how to best manage community education and minority recruitment programs. The information also applies to other health professions schools and to other health care providers as the larger health care community must participate in improving oral health as part of improving health and health care.
- 1. Foreword to Special Supplement of Journal of Dental Education
- 2. Organization and Management of Community-Based Dental Education Programs
- 3. Infrastructure for a Community-Based Dental Education Program
- 4. Management of Experiences in Community-Based Dental Education
- 5. Financial Impact of Community-Based Dental Education
- 6. The Impact of Community-Based Dental Education on Students
- 7. The Experiences of Community Dental Clinic Directors with Dental Students and Dental School Collaborations
- 8. Reflections on the Dental Pipeline Program¿s Efforts Regarding Community-Based Dental Education
- 9. Underrepresented Minority Dental Student Recruitment and Enrollment Programs
- 10. Components of Effective Outreach and Recruitment Programs for Underrepresented Minority and Low-Income Dental Students
- 11. Effective Admissions Practices to Achieve Greater Student Diversity in Dental Schools
- 12. The Role of the Dental School Environment in Promoting Greater Student Diversity
- 13. The Role of Enrichment Programs in Strengthening the Academic Pipeline to Dental Education
- 14. Reflections on the Dental Pipeline Program¿s Efforts Regarding Underrepresented Minority Dental Students
While the need to address disparities in care is well known, few strategies for reducing disparities have been studied systematically.
RWJF examines the types of competitive foods - foods and beverages schools offer outside of meal programs - available in our nation's school...
Recent studies have demonstrated a connection between low-socioeconomic status and poor health in children. This study builds upon previous ...
This study examined the impact that race has on the prevalence of self-reported diabetes for Hispanic and non-Hispanic people. Data from the...
In this article, the authors consider the social, structural and symbolic effects of the recent and rapid spread of legal gambling in the Un...
Immigrants and their children are one of the fastest growing components of the U.S. population. One in five Americans under the age of 18 is...
Most studies investigating links between social capital and health have relied on work by Robert Putnam who conceptualized social capital as...
The present article considered cardiovascular patients' adherence to physicians' medication recommendations. Nonadherence was defined as fol...
This study examined the prevalence of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) among children in the United States. Also of interest ...
The current article explored risk factors for iron deficiency for toddlers in the United States with a focus on Hispanic toddlers. Data from...
The research presented in this article compared the density and concentration of pro-tobacco media messages in African-American and White ma...
This article describes efforts to use information on influenza burden and vaccine efficacy to estimate how influenza vaccine recommendations...