Dental students are a financial advantage for the dental clinics of Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs). Clinics benefited from services delivered by students up to $6,000 per five-day week, and non-FQHCs can use students to supplement shortages in dentists.
Community-based dental education (CDBE) is a partnership between community dental clinics and dental schools. For the partnership to be a success, both parties must benefit. Dental schools encountered financial problems in the 1990s when state governments reduced support for health professions education.
From this special issue of the Journal of Dental Education on the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Pipeline program, this chapter presents evidence that CBDE is in the financial interests of dental schools and community clinics. The author considers the effects of CBDE on the revenues of partner colleges and community clinics. The chapter analyzes the short-term and long-term impact of CBDE on dental school clinic finances. The short-term applies to schools that implement CBDE but do not restructure their clinical dental programs. For schools that reorganized—by shifting their resources to other areas when senior students leave for community rotations—the author presents long-term data.
- Several Pipeline schools reported that when seniors were assigned to community clinics, the remaining students gained productivity.
- A study of the CBDE program at Boston University found that high-ranking students generated a 78 percent increase in revenue—through in-house clinical practice—after their return from community rotations.
- At FQHCs, rotating dental students who see at least eight patients per day will generate net revenue gains.
This is the fourth chapter of a special issue on the Pipeline, Profession, and Practice: Community-Based Dental Education program. The author himself was integral to formation of CBDE partnerships through the California Endowment.
- 1 Foreword to Special Supplement of Journal of Dental Education
- 2 Organization and Management of Community-Based Dental Education Programs
- 3 Infrastructure for a Community-Based Dental Education Program
- 4 Management of Experiences in Community-Based Dental Education
- 5 Financial Impact of Community-Based Dental Education
- 6 The Impact of Community-Based Dental Education on Students
- 7 The Experiences of Community Dental Clinic Directors with Dental Students and Dental School Collaborations
- 8 Reflections on the Dental Pipeline Program¿s Efforts Regarding Community-Based Dental Education
- 9 Underrepresented Minority Dental Student Recruitment and Enrollment Programs
- 10 Components of Effective Outreach and Recruitment Programs for Underrepresented Minority and Low-Income Dental Students
- 11 Effective Admissions Practices to Achieve Greater Student Diversity in Dental Schools
- 12 The Role of the Dental School Environment in Promoting Greater Student Diversity
- 13 The Role of Enrichment Programs in Strengthening the Academic Pipeline to Dental Education
- 14 Reflections on the Dental Pipeline Program¿s Efforts Regarding Underrepresented Minority Dental Students
Learn how The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation is dedicated to building a culture of health in Risa Lavizzo-Mourey's 2014 annual message.
RWJF Nurse Faculty Scholar Jennifer Bellot writes about losing her grandmother to complications from a medical error.
Developing small community homes as alternatives to nursing homes, this radical, new national model for skilled nursing care returns control...
How the tragic loss of a dancer's leg led to a Culture of Health within the team that restored her mobility.
The County Health Rankings & Roadmaps can be put to use right away to help create a culture of health in your community.
Organizations across the country are showing their support for the Commission's recommendations. Read their endorsements and join the Commis...
Head Start-Trauma Smart (HS-TS) is an early childhood trauma intervention model that addresses the effects of complex trauma for young presc...
A new paper reports on the proceedings of an unprecedented meeting that brought together diverse leaders from community colleges around the ...
The reconvened Commission to Build a Healthier America will provide new guidance in three key areas: early childhood, healthy communities, a...
Unengaged patients can incur costs of up to 21% higher than patients who are highly engaged in care. This suite of materials from RWJF's AF4...
The RWJF DataHub tracks state-level data, and allows visitors to customize and visualize facts and figures.