Dental students are a financial advantage for the dental clinics of Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs). Clinics benefited from services delivered by students up to $6,000 per five-day week, and non-FQHCs can use students to supplement shortages in dentists.
Community-based dental education (CDBE) is a partnership between community dental clinics and dental schools. For the partnership to be a success, both parties must benefit. Dental schools encountered financial problems in the 1990s when state governments reduced support for health professions education.
From this special issue of the Journal of Dental Education on the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Pipeline program, this chapter presents evidence that CBDE is in the financial interests of dental schools and community clinics. The author considers the effects of CBDE on the revenues of partner colleges and community clinics. The chapter analyzes the short-term and long-term impact of CBDE on dental school clinic finances. The short-term applies to schools that implement CBDE but do not restructure their clinical dental programs. For schools that reorganized—by shifting their resources to other areas when senior students leave for community rotations—the author presents long-term data.
- Several Pipeline schools reported that when seniors were assigned to community clinics, the remaining students gained productivity.
- A study of the CBDE program at Boston University found that high-ranking students generated a 78 percent increase in revenue—through in-house clinical practice—after their return from community rotations.
- At FQHCs, rotating dental students who see at least eight patients per day will generate net revenue gains.
This is the fourth chapter of a special issue on the Pipeline, Profession, and Practice: Community-Based Dental Education program. The author himself was integral to formation of CBDE partnerships through the California Endowment.
- 1. Foreword to Special Supplement of Journal of Dental Education
- 2. Organization and Management of Community-Based Dental Education Programs
- 3. Infrastructure for a Community-Based Dental Education Program
- 4. Management of Experiences in Community-Based Dental Education
- 5. Financial Impact of Community-Based Dental Education
- 6. The Impact of Community-Based Dental Education on Students
- 7. The Experiences of Community Dental Clinic Directors with Dental Students and Dental School Collaborations
- 8. Reflections on the Dental Pipeline Program¿s Efforts Regarding Community-Based Dental Education
- 9. Underrepresented Minority Dental Student Recruitment and Enrollment Programs
- 10. Components of Effective Outreach and Recruitment Programs for Underrepresented Minority and Low-Income Dental Students
- 11. Effective Admissions Practices to Achieve Greater Student Diversity in Dental Schools
- 12. The Role of the Dental School Environment in Promoting Greater Student Diversity
- 13. The Role of Enrichment Programs in Strengthening the Academic Pipeline to Dental Education
- 14. Reflections on the Dental Pipeline Program¿s Efforts Regarding Underrepresented Minority Dental Students
RWJF examines the types of competitive foods - foods and beverages schools offer outside of meal programs - available in our nation's school...
Recent studies have demonstrated a connection between low-socioeconomic status and poor health in children. This study builds upon previous ...
This study examined the impact that race has on the prevalence of self-reported diabetes for Hispanic and non-Hispanic people. Data from the...
In this article, the authors consider the social, structural and symbolic effects of the recent and rapid spread of legal gambling in the Un...
Immigrants and their children are one of the fastest growing components of the U.S. population. One in five Americans under the age of 18 is...
Most studies investigating links between social capital and health have relied on work by Robert Putnam who conceptualized social capital as...
The present article considered cardiovascular patients' adherence to physicians' medication recommendations. Nonadherence was defined as fol...
This study examined the prevalence of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) among children in the United States. Also of interest ...
The current article explored risk factors for iron deficiency for toddlers in the United States with a focus on Hispanic toddlers. Data from...
The research presented in this article compared the density and concentration of pro-tobacco media messages in African-American and White ma...
This article describes efforts to use information on influenza burden and vaccine efficacy to estimate how influenza vaccine recommendations...