The Dental Pipeline program was the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's (RWJF) response to a nationwide challenge from the U.S. Surgeon General. In 2000 the Surgeon General called on dental care providers to meet the needs of populations who lacked access to care. The following year, RWJF’s Dental Pipeline began funding dental care in underserved communities, while increasing dental school enrollment of low-income and under-represented minority students.
The Dental Pipeline program was a two-phase project. In Phase I, 11 dental schools joined with community clinics and practices that care for low-income patients; senior dental students practiced in their communities through service-learning rotations. RWJF funded eight additional dental schools in Phase II.
In this preface, authors Bailit and Formicola describe several stages—from initial funding to evaluation—of the Dental Pipeline program.
- Effective operations were an essential component of successful programs.
- The W.K. Kellogg Foundation provided scholarship support for low-income and under-represented minority students.
- The average five-year grant award was $1.3 million per school, with an additional $100, 000 per school.
RWJF and its partner, the California Endowment (TCE), contracted a nationally recognized group of health services researchers from the school of public health, University of California at Los Angeles, to evaluate the Dental Pipeline program. Their report is a guide for dental schools wishing to establish, expand, or improve their Pipeline-related programs.
- 1. Foreword to Special Supplement of Journal of Dental Education
- 2. Organization and Management of Community-Based Dental Education Programs
- 3. Infrastructure for a Community-Based Dental Education Program
- 4. Management of Experiences in Community-Based Dental Education
- 5. Financial Impact of Community-Based Dental Education
- 6. The Impact of Community-Based Dental Education on Students
- 7. The Experiences of Community Dental Clinic Directors with Dental Students and Dental School Collaborations
- 8. Reflections on the Dental Pipeline Program¿s Efforts Regarding Community-Based Dental Education
- 9. Underrepresented Minority Dental Student Recruitment and Enrollment Programs
- 10. Components of Effective Outreach and Recruitment Programs for Underrepresented Minority and Low-Income Dental Students
- 11. Effective Admissions Practices to Achieve Greater Student Diversity in Dental Schools
- 12. The Role of the Dental School Environment in Promoting Greater Student Diversity
- 13. The Role of Enrichment Programs in Strengthening the Academic Pipeline to Dental Education
- 14. Reflections on the Dental Pipeline Program¿s Efforts Regarding Underrepresented Minority Dental Students
RWJF examines the types of competitive foods - foods and beverages schools offer outside of meal programs - available in our nation's school...
Progress and lessons learned from two programs that seek to advance the impact digital games can have on health.
Joint Commission Resources in Oak Brook Ill., oversaw development and testing of an online course and support materials to improve communica...
The rapid rise of antibiotic resistance can be tracked using ResistanceMap, an online tool that visually highlights regions of the country w...
Report examines, compares and contrasts Massachusetts and Utah health insurance exchanges.
Report examines issues states will face as they integrate Medicaid into the exchange.
This poll shows most Americans believe the quality of U.S. health care is average at best. More than half of American adults surveyed barely...
Want to improve health? Start with where we live, work, learn and play.
Health care reform may create incentives to spur the growth in HDHPs and CDHPs, a move that might help hold costs down?at least for a time.
The authors suggest repairing the health care system by realigning provider incentives, increasing the availability of information with whic...
While the ACA is aimed primarily at improving individual health by increasing access to health insurance, it also contains a number of provi...