Managing performance and strengthening accountability have emerged as the prevailing themes confronting public health agencies as expectations continue to rise and resources tighten. Two prominent strategies to strengthen accountability and improve performance across agencies are voluntary accreditation of health departments coupled with continuous quality improvement (QI).
This special issue of the Journal of Public Health Management and Practice is dedicated to the current and future states of quality improvement in public health, examining the current research from the field, as well as our expectations for the future. To address these issues, we have selected various experts from the field to provide timely research and commentary that set the stage for accreditation and QI in public health, as well as the promises they hold for the future.
- 1. Quality Improvement in Public Health
- 2. Quality Improvement and Performance
- 3. Achieving a Culture of Quality Improvement
- 4. Defining Quality Improvement in Public Health
- 5. Opportunities to Advance Quality Improvement in Public Health
- 6. Supporting Public Health Departments' Quality Improvement Initiatives
- 7. The National Public Health Performance Standards
- 8. Taking Improvement Action Based on Performance Results
- 9. State Landscape in Public Health Planning and Quality Improvement
- 10. The Quality Improvement Experience in a High-Performing Local Health Department
- 11. Quality Improvement in Local Health Departments
- 12. Promoting Quality Improvement and Achieving Measurable Change
- 13. Evaluating the Multi-State Learning Collaborative
- 14. Driving Quality Improvement in Local Public Health Practice
- 15. Realizing Transformational Change Through Quality Improvement in Public Health
- 16. Quality Improvement and Accreditation
RWJF examines the types of competitive foods - foods and beverages schools offer outside of meal programs - available in our nation's school...
Progress and lessons learned from two programs that seek to advance the impact digital games can have on health.
Joint Commission Resources in Oak Brook Ill., oversaw development and testing of an online course and support materials to improve communica...
The rapid rise of antibiotic resistance can be tracked using ResistanceMap, an online tool that visually highlights regions of the country w...
Report examines, compares and contrasts Massachusetts and Utah health insurance exchanges.
Report examines issues states will face as they integrate Medicaid into the exchange.
This poll shows most Americans believe the quality of U.S. health care is average at best. More than half of American adults surveyed barely...
Want to improve health? Start with where we live, work, learn and play.
Health care reform may create incentives to spur the growth in HDHPs and CDHPs, a move that might help hold costs down?at least for a time.
The authors suggest repairing the health care system by realigning provider incentives, increasing the availability of information with whic...
While the ACA is aimed primarily at improving individual health by increasing access to health insurance, it also contains a number of provi...