Dates of Project: June 2006 through January 2009
Problem Synopsis: By 2005, one in four Americans had a family member who struggled with addiction. In 2005, there were 23.2 million Americans who needed treatment for their illicit drug or alcohol abuse problems, but only about 10 percent received the treatment they needed.
Synopsis of the Work: HBO ran a 90-minute documentary, "Addiction," as part of the Addiction Project that aimed to increase awareness that addiction is a chronic brain disease. In addition, Join Together distributed DVDs of "Addiction" to addiction treatment organizations and individual treatment providers.
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF), the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) and the National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA) supported the 90-minute documentary and also funded a 30-city outreach campaign. Join Together, Faces & Voices of Recovery and Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America (CADCA) conducted the mobilization effort to promote the series.
Key Results of the Show: HBO used all of its digital platforms in showing and promoting the Addiction Project. These include the HBO main service, multiplex channels, HBO On Demand, podcasts, web streams and DVD sales. The major components of the Addiction Project included:
- A nine-part centerpiece documentary, "Addiction," aired on HBO in March 2007. It won the Governors Award from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences in September 2007.
- A supplementary series of 13 films and a complementary series of four independent addiction-themed films.
- A companion book published by Rodale Press, Addiction: Why Can't They Just Stop? edited by John Hoffman and Susan Froemke.
- A website on addiction, treatment and recovery.
Key Results of the Outreach: Join Together, Faces & Vocies or Recovery and CADCA conducted a grassroots outreach that targeted 30 cities.
- Staff worked with HBO regional directors in 13 HBO Premier Cities that together held more than 30 premiers of the show.
- Website: Between February 6, 2007, and the end of September 2007, the website attracted 134,000 visitors (of whom 98,000 were unique) and 396 page views. Visitors came from all 50 states.
- Community events included house parties in 41 states, town hall meetings in 134 communities, and state capital presentations and briefings in 41 states.
- Citizen Groups Enjoy More Support, Less Isolation, in Local War on Drugs
- With Help from a National Organization, Volunteers Drive the Work of 4,000 Anti-Drug Coalitions Across the Nation
- The Faces & Voices of Recovery Campaign Raises Awareness About Recovery from the Disease of Alcohol and Drug Addiction
Join the Commission on June 19, 2013 for a public meeting to raise awareness of how non-medical factors influence health and move public- an...
Learn how to improve care transitions and prevent avoidable hospital readmissions, and pick up nursing and medical education con-ed credits.
The reconvened Commission to Build a Healthier America will provide new guidance in two key areas: early childhood and healthy communities.
Mildred Dalton Manning, the last surviving member of a group of U.S. Army and Navy nurses taken prisoner in the Philippines at the start of ...
The RWJF Roadmaps to Health Prize honors outstanding community partnerships which are helping people live healthier lives. The six winners w...
This is the agenda for the June 19, 2013 RWJF Commission to Build a Healthier America public meeting.
A study finds that 96 percent of nurse practitioners and 76 percent of physicians agreed with IOM report recommendation that “nurse practiti...
The strange pull of this series is its humanity, not its horrors.
Team members, grantees, and guests discuss breakthrough ideas that will allow us to move toward solving challenges in health care.
What does U.S. health care have in common with an exotic international bazaar? The prices at either one are almost never posted, whether for...
March of Dimes Establishes Research Collaborative on Causes of Preterm Births - House, Senate Consider Cuts to SNAP in Farm Bill Reauthoriza...
A national conversation highlighting efforts to improve care transitions, reduce avoidable hospital readmissions, and lift overall quality o...