Dates of Project: June 2006 through January 2009
Problem Synopsis: By 2005, one in four Americans had a family member who struggled with addiction. In 2005, there were 23.2 million Americans who needed treatment for their illicit drug or alcohol abuse problems, but only about 10 percent received the treatment they needed.
Synopsis of the Work: HBO ran a 90-minute documentary, "Addiction," as part of the Addiction Project that aimed to increase awareness that addiction is a chronic brain disease. In addition, Join Together distributed DVDs of "Addiction" to addiction treatment organizations and individual treatment providers.
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF), the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) and the National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA) supported the 90-minute documentary and also funded a 30-city outreach campaign. Join Together, Faces & Voices of Recovery and Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America (CADCA) conducted the mobilization effort to promote the series.
Key Results of the Show: HBO used all of its digital platforms in showing and promoting the Addiction Project. These include the HBO main service, multiplex channels, HBO On Demand, podcasts, web streams and DVD sales. The major components of the Addiction Project included:
- A nine-part centerpiece documentary, "Addiction," aired on HBO in March 2007. It won the Governors Award from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences in September 2007.
- A supplementary series of 13 films and a complementary series of four independent addiction-themed films.
- A companion book published by Rodale Press, Addiction: Why Can't They Just Stop? edited by John Hoffman and Susan Froemke.
- A website on addiction, treatment and recovery.
Key Results of the Outreach: Join Together, Faces & Vocies or Recovery and CADCA conducted a grassroots outreach that targeted 30 cities.
- Staff worked with HBO regional directors in 13 HBO Premier Cities that together held more than 30 premiers of the show.
- Website: Between February 6, 2007, and the end of September 2007, the website attracted 134,000 visitors (of whom 98,000 were unique) and 396 page views. Visitors came from all 50 states.
- Community events included house parties in 41 states, town hall meetings in 134 communities, and state capital presentations and briefings in 41 states.
- Citizen Groups Enjoy More Support, Less Isolation, in Local War on Drugs
- With Help from a National Organization, Volunteers Drive the Work of 4,000 Anti-Drug Coalitions Across the Nation
- The Faces & Voices of Recovery Campaign Raises Awareness About Recovery from the Disease of Alcohol and Drug Addiction
While the need to address disparities in care is well known, few strategies for reducing disparities have been studied systematically.
RWJF examines the types of competitive foods - foods and beverages schools offer outside of meal programs - available in our nation's school...
Progress and lessons learned from two programs that seek to advance the impact digital games can have on health.
Joint Commission Resources in Oak Brook Ill., oversaw development and testing of an online course and support materials to improve communica...
The rapid rise of antibiotic resistance can be tracked using ResistanceMap, an online tool that visually highlights regions of the country w...
Report examines, compares and contrasts Massachusetts and Utah health insurance exchanges.
Report examines issues states will face as they integrate Medicaid into the exchange.
This poll shows most Americans believe the quality of U.S. health care is average at best. More than half of American adults surveyed barely...
Want to improve health? Start with where we live, work, learn and play.
Health care reform may create incentives to spur the growth in HDHPs and CDHPs, a move that might help hold costs down?at least for a time.
The authors suggest repairing the health care system by realigning provider incentives, increasing the availability of information with whic...
While the ACA is aimed primarily at improving individual health by increasing access to health insurance, it also contains a number of provi...