Consultants from Comprehensive Health Education Foundation helped Monadnock Family Services in Keene, N.H., create a strategic business plan to replicate its In SHAPE program, which promotes health for people with severe mental illness through physical activity, healthy eating and attention to medical needs.
Monadnock Family Services is a nonprofit agency serving people with mental illness. The nonprofit, Seattle-based Comprehensive Health Education Foundation works to help people and communities improve the quality of their lives through health education.
- The project team committed to a strategic business plan to replicate the In SHAPE model through affiliate sites, each paying $25,000 for training and support to become certified In SHAPE providers.
- The team marketed the program to 104 leaders of interested organizations, mental health centers and referral sources nationwide. Seventeen of them requested additional information. Four said they were seeking grants to fund the certification fee.
- Two mental health centers engaged with Monadnock Family Services in February 2009 in a year-long training process to become certified In SHAPE providers:
- The Providence Center (Providence, R.I.)
- Genesee County Community Mental Health Center (Flint, Mich.)