Strategic Partnerships LLC conducted an assessment of federal and state government agencies, health care organizations and professional associations to determine existing and planned initiatives in nurse retention and education, and identified opportunities for the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) to partner in projects with some of them.
- The nursing shortage has intensified in spite of the investment of time and funding by government and private sector organizations.
- Lack of nursing faculty has led to declining enrollment in Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree programs over time.
- Partner with nursing organizations and others to co-host summit meetings to address the nursing education shortage. RWJF took up this recommendation in 2008.
- Leverage financial resources by generating matching funds from government and private sector organizations.
- Support new strategies in nursing programs that reduce demand on clinical faculty. In 2008 RWJF helped fund the Western Governors University—along with other funders—to develop an online BSN program.