The nursing shortage in the United States is expected to triple over the next 13 years, leaving a shortfall of 340,000 nurses in 2020. Premature retirement contributes significantly to this problem.
Researchers say that policy-makers and employers must take urgent action to retain older and experienced nurses in the workforce.
Wisdom at Work, a white paper featured in this brief, offers many different approaches to retaining older, experienced nurses in the workforce well beyond the age of 55, such as offering financial support and incentives for continuing education and research; redesigning work spaces and processes; adopting new technology; and developing creative, individualized benefit packages.
- 1. Innovation in Clinical Nursing Education: Retooling the Old Model for a 21st-Century Workforce
- 2. Ten Years After Keeping Patients Safe: Have Nurses' Work Environments Been Transformed?
- 3. The Case for Academic Progression
- 4. Improving Patient Access to High-Quality Care
- 5. Addressing the Nursing Shortage - Part I
- 6. Addressing the Nursing Shortage - Part II
- 7. New Research that Illuminates Policy Issues
- 8. The Nursing Faculty Shortage
- 9. Facts and Controversies about Nursing Staffing Policies
- 10. New Research Provides Solutions to the Nursing Shortage
- 11. Strengthening Public Health Nursing - Part I
- 12. Strengthening Public Health Nursing - Part II
- 13. Nursing's Prescription for a Reformed Health System
- 14. Addressing the Quality and Safety Gap - Part I
- 15. Addressing the Quality and Safety Gap - Part II
- 16. Perspectives on Pay for Performance in Nursing
- 17. Expanding America's Capacity to Educate Nurses
- 18. Unlocking the Potential of School Nursing
- 19. Addressing the Quality and Safety Gap - Part III
- 20. Implementing the IOM Future of Nursing Report - Part 1
- 21. Implementing the IOM Future of Nursing Report - Part II
- 22. Implementing the IOM Future of Nursing Report - Part III
- 23. Celebrating a Sustained Commitment to Improving Health and Health Care Through Nursing: RWJF Marks Its 40th Anniversary