Field of Work: Conducting issue briefings on health and health care policy for policy-makers, journalists and national organization officials.
Problem Synopsis: Congressional staff and journalists need access to timely, accurate and objective information to help increase their understanding of complex health and health care issues, and thereby improve their ability to help make and convey health policy.
Synopsis of the Work: From 1999 to 2007, the Alliance for Health Reform conducted issue briefings on health topics for congressional staff and journalists, and created additional resources for news reporters seeking unbiased information on health issues.
Key Findings: The Alliance for Health Reform:
- Held 27 briefings for congressional staff and others, covering topics such as:
- Patients' bill of rights.
- Ways to encourage more employers to offer health insurance.
- Prescription drug spending.
- The uninsured.
- Children's health insurance.
- Racial and ethnic disparities in health care.
- Produced 24 four-page background briefs.
- Held 12 briefings for reporters in Washington, 47 briefings for journalists and editorial boards in other cities and 72 desk-side briefings for Washington reporters.
- Produced and distributed four sourcebooks, in English and Spanish, to assist reporters in covering health policy issues.
- Created a Find-an-Expert database for reporters to use when seeking sources in various areas of health to interview. By 2007, the database listed 341 experts.
Mildred Dalton Manning, the last surviving member of a group of U.S. Army and Navy nurses taken prisoner in the Philippines at the start of ...
Learn how to improve care transitions and prevent avoidable hospital readmissions, and pick up nursing and medical education con-ed credits.
"We often see the benefits of diversity as being for minorities," Angela Amar writes. "We seldom see that the majority benefits as well."
Join the Commission on June 19, 2013 for a public meeting to raise awareness of how non-medical factors influence health and move public- an...
The reconvened Commission to Build a Healthier America will provide new guidance in two key areas: early childhood and healthy communities.
A national conversation highlighting efforts to improve care transitions, reduce avoidable hospital readmissions, and lift overall quality o...
Legislation Would Dramatically Expand FDA’s Oversight of Compounding Pharmacies - Study: Diners Dramatically Underestimate Calories in Fast ...
The strange pull of this series is its humanity, not its horrors.
While the need to address disparities in care is well known, few strategies for reducing disparities have been studied systematically.
By “practicing” with medical simulation and by interacting with culturally diverse standardized patients, students and residents can develop...
Team members, grantees, and guests discuss breakthrough ideas that will allow us to move toward solving challenges in health care.
The RWJF Roadmaps to Health Prize honors outstanding community partnerships which are helping people live healthier lives. The six winners w...