From 2006 to 2007, staff at the Association of Public Health Laboratories led public health laboratory leaders and other stakeholders in developing a strategic planning process and a strategic plan to assure competent, sustainable public health laboratory leadership. The process is a model that other public health and health care organizations can use to recruit, train and retain leaders.
- A plan, Association of Public Health Laboratories Workforce Initiative: Creating a Model for Strategic Planning, Final Report, with 10 appendices, including:
- A strategic plan for increasing the recruitment, training and retention of qualified individuals for public health laboratory leadership (Appendix D: National Center for Public Health Laboratory Leadership Strategic Plan: 2006–2009).
- A toolkit with personnel standards, recruitment and retention strategies and more (Appendix H: Toolkit for Ensuring a Future Workforce of Qualified Public Health Laboratory Scientist-Managers and Directors, Final Report).
- A model of the strategic planning process that other public health and health care organizations can use to alleviate leadership shortages (Appendix C: Strategic Planning Process).
The plan is available from the Association of Public Health Laboratories.
Key Recommendations: The Association of Public Health Laboratories made the following recommendations to other public health and health care organizations engaged in similar strategic planning in Appendix C: Strategic Planning Process:
- Develop a thorough understanding of the market forces and trends affecting strategic planning.
- Engage an expert in the field to develop an environmental scan.
- Seek a cross section of viewpoints and perspectives among participating stakeholders.
- Develop a charter to help set expectations, define boundaries and link participants.
- Set up an oversight committee.
While the need to address disparities in care is well known, few strategies for reducing disparities have been studied systematically.
RWJF examines the types of competitive foods - foods and beverages schools offer outside of meal programs - available in our nation's school...
Progress and lessons learned from two programs that seek to advance the impact digital games can have on health.
Joint Commission Resources in Oak Brook Ill., oversaw development and testing of an online course and support materials to improve communica...
The rapid rise of antibiotic resistance can be tracked using ResistanceMap, an online tool that visually highlights regions of the country w...
Report examines, compares and contrasts Massachusetts and Utah health insurance exchanges.
Report examines issues states will face as they integrate Medicaid into the exchange.
This poll shows most Americans believe the quality of U.S. health care is average at best. More than half of American adults surveyed barely...
Want to improve health? Start with where we live, work, learn and play.
Health care reform may create incentives to spur the growth in HDHPs and CDHPs, a move that might help hold costs down?at least for a time.
The authors suggest repairing the health care system by realigning provider incentives, increasing the availability of information with whic...
While the ACA is aimed primarily at improving individual health by increasing access to health insurance, it also contains a number of provi...