All of the health system's providers adopted new language services policies by January 2006. After the grant, the health system committed its own resources to interpreter and translation services, allocating $900,000 in 2007.
From 2002 to 2005, Temple University Health System in Philadelphia developed and promoted language services for Spanish-speaking patients in all of the system's hospitals and recruited, trained and credentialed six health care interpreters.
The health system was one of 10 demonstration sites in the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's (RWJF) national program Hablamos Juntos: Improving Patient-Provider Communication for Latinos.
Working with the health system's administration during the grant period, project staff:
- Guided the development of formal policies for the use of interpreter services and translation.
- Emphasized language services as fundamental to good patient care.
- Recruited, trained and credentialed (with grant funds) four medical interpreters who provided services to some 8,000 patients. The health system hired two additional interpreters during that period with its own funds.
- Increased use of language services. For example, provider use of contracted interpreters, accessed primarily via telephone, rose by 60 percent over the two-year implementation period.
- Increased access to Spanish-language documents. Project staff contracted for Spanish versions of 200 essential patient documents and purchased additional material, all of which were made available on the health system's intranet.
- Hablamos Juntos: Improving Patient Provider Communication for Latinos Read the Program Results Report
- About this grant
While the need to address disparities in care is well known, few strategies for reducing disparities have been studied systematically.
RWJF examines the types of competitive foods - foods and beverages schools offer outside of meal programs - available in our nation's school...
Progress and lessons learned from two programs that seek to advance the impact digital games can have on health.
Joint Commission Resources in Oak Brook Ill., oversaw development and testing of an online course and support materials to improve communica...
The rapid rise of antibiotic resistance can be tracked using ResistanceMap, an online tool that visually highlights regions of the country w...
Report examines, compares and contrasts Massachusetts and Utah health insurance exchanges.
Report examines issues states will face as they integrate Medicaid into the exchange.
This poll shows most Americans believe the quality of U.S. health care is average at best. More than half of American adults surveyed barely...
Want to improve health? Start with where we live, work, learn and play.
Health care reform may create incentives to spur the growth in HDHPs and CDHPs, a move that might help hold costs down?at least for a time.
The authors suggest repairing the health care system by realigning provider incentives, increasing the availability of information with whic...
While the ACA is aimed primarily at improving individual health by increasing access to health insurance, it also contains a number of provi...