From 1997 to 2001, staff from the Emergency Medical Services for Children National Resource Center, which is housed in Children's National Medical Center, developed a series of white papers on critical issues regarding emergency medical services for children that have surfaced under managed care.
- The National Resource Center developed 10 white papers in topic areas such as:
- 24-Hour Access to Emergency Care
- Quality and Accountability
- Reimbursement Issues
- Injury Prevention
- Encourage the development, dissemination and evaluation of nationally recognized pediatric emergency care guidelines.
- Encourage the development of nationally recognized performance measures (process, structure and outcome).
- Coordinate care with the online "medical home" containing patient information essential for the primary care provider responsible for coordinating care and all other providers rendering care.
- Ensure reimbursement for emergency medical services for children.
- Explore issues around the definition of medical necessity.