From February 2003 through May 2004, researchers at Public/Private Ventures in Philadelphia analyzed how linking child care with health services could improve low-income and minority children's access to and quality of health care.
Drawing on interviews with experts in policy, health and child care, their report — Linking the Child Care and Health Care Systems: A Consideration of Options — provides funders and policy-makers with a framework for thinking about future interventions.
Public/Private Ventures is a nonprofit organization that seeks to improve the effectiveness of social policies, programs and community initiatives, especially as they affect youth and young adults.
- Researchers produced a report that analyzes key strategies for linking child care services with children's health care, along with analyzing federal and state funded initiatives targeting low-income young children and their families.
- Researchers reported several reasons why linking child care and health services could contribute to better health outcomes for young children.
- Discussion with experts revealed a number of strategies for linking child care services with children's health care.
- The researchers identified two key issues that should be considered when trying to improve the links between the health care system and early child care.
- Focus on one or two major outcomes and use a small number of well-defined strategies to achieve them.
- Given the small proportion of infants and toddlers and Hispanic children who use child care centers, consider placing the locus of activities in child care resource and referral agencies.
- Begin with public/private funding partnerships to help stabilize the program's funding sources.
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) supported this project with a grant of $101,193 from February 2003 to May 2004.
RWJF examines the types of competitive foods - foods and beverages schools offer outside of meal programs - available in our nation's school...
Progress and lessons learned from two programs that seek to advance the impact digital games can have on health.
Joint Commission Resources in Oak Brook Ill., oversaw development and testing of an online course and support materials to improve communica...
The rapid rise of antibiotic resistance can be tracked using ResistanceMap, an online tool that visually highlights regions of the country w...
Report examines, compares and contrasts Massachusetts and Utah health insurance exchanges.
Report examines issues states will face as they integrate Medicaid into the exchange.
This poll shows most Americans believe the quality of U.S. health care is average at best. More than half of American adults surveyed barely...
Want to improve health? Start with where we live, work, learn and play.
Health care reform may create incentives to spur the growth in HDHPs and CDHPs, a move that might help hold costs down?at least for a time.
The authors suggest repairing the health care system by realigning provider incentives, increasing the availability of information with whic...
While the ACA is aimed primarily at improving individual health by increasing access to health insurance, it also contains a number of provi...