From 1997 to 2001, staff at the National Governors Association (NGA) Center for Best Practices educated governors and state health policy-makers about the health-related impact of the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act (PRWORA) of 1996.
A passage from the act presented governors with flexibility to reshape the nations' policies and programs for the poor.
Staff at the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices:
- Hosted five conference calls for governors' advisers and agency staff, including one requested by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- Conducted a conference in Louisville, Ky., in October 1999, entitled "Helping Hard-to-Place Individuals Succeed in a Work-First Environment: State Policies and Practices."
- Wrote and disseminated a monograph, Understanding Health-Status Barriers That Hinder the Transition from Welfare to Work, as well as three Issue Briefs.
- Offered a small grant to states for activities meant to improve family health care coverage.
- Provided information and technical assistance to states on:
- The Supreme Court ruling in Olmstead v. L.C, which affected state obligations to individuals with disabilities, particularly in treatment settings.
- The Ticket to Work Incentives Improvement Act., which provides health care and employment services (with the ability to purchase Medicaid coverage) to individuals with disabilities to maintain employment and reduce dependency on public cash benefit programs.
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) supported this project through a grant of $273,625.
RWJF Scholar examines neighborhood-based death rates from opiate-based painkiller overdoses, compared with heroin overdose deaths.
RWJF Nurse Faculty Scholar Jennifer Bellot writes about losing her grandmother to complications from a medical error.
The County Health Rankings & Roadmaps can be put to use right away to help create a culture of health in your community.
Learn how The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation is dedicated to building a culture of health in Risa Lavizzo-Mourey's 2014 annual message.
Developing small community homes as alternatives to nursing homes, this radical, new national model for skilled nursing care returns control...
A new paper reports on the proceedings of an unprecedented meeting that brought together diverse leaders from community colleges around the ...
As part of National Public Health Week, PHLR—a grantee of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation—has been participating in the week by contribut...
Team members, grantees, and guests discuss breakthrough ideas that will allow us to move toward solving challenges in health care.
The reconvened Commission to Build a Healthier America will provide new guidance in three key areas: early childhood, healthy communities, a...
Study: Banning Chocolate Milk in Elementary Schools Also Decreases Overall Sales, Increases Waste - CDC: Significant Drops in Five Major Di...
List of most current annual reports.
The RWJF DataHub tracks state-level data, and allows visitors to customize and visualize facts and figures.