In 1999, the Association of Academic Health Centers (AAHC) published a collection of commissioned essays to serve as a guide to innovation for leaders of academic health centers (AHCs).
- Edited by Clyde H. Evans and Elaine R. Rubin, the collection, entitled Creating the Future: Innovative Programs and Structures in Academic Health Centers, was published by AAHC in August 1999.
- The 12 collected essays provide concrete examples of the kinds of innovative programs some academic health centers have implemented and also explore ideas and concepts that might enrich and challenge the thinking of academic health center leaders. It includes papers on:
- Tools for implementing necessary changes.
- Innovations within particular institutions that exemplify attributes likely to lead to future success.
- Organizational structure, governance, and community issues hindering change.
- The struggles of an academic health center caught in the rapid changes of one particular health care marketplace.
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) supported the project with a grant of $38,595.