From 1992 to 1994, staff at the Families USA Foundation prepared, published and disseminated four reports on problems in health insurance coverage and financing:
- "Half of Us: Families Priced Out of Health Protection"
- "No Sale: The Failure of Barebones Insurance"
- "Skyrocketing Health Inflation 1980–2000: The Burden on Families and Businesses"
- "How Americans Lose Health Insurance"
Key findings from the reports included:
- Almost half (46%) of American families will have a family member unprotected from high health costs in 1993.
- Barebones legislation did not significantly expand coverage to the uninsured in any of the 16 states with at least six months of market experience.
- Health care costs per family tripled between 1980 and 1993.
- An average of 2,248,000 Americans lose their health insurance each month.