Data on the characteristics of each state’s small business exchange.
In addition to providing health insurance exchanges for individual consumers, the ACA also provides exchanges designed for small businesses.
The Small Business Insurance Health Option Program (SHOP) Participation Rules Dataset includes information such as whether a particular state's SHOP exchange considers the self-employed as a small business, whether the individual and SHOP exchanges are merged, and whether a particular state's SHOP exchange is a passive or active purchaser.
SHOP exchanges are separate exchanges for the sale and purchase of health insurance that address the needs of small business owners. Much like the exchanges for individual consumers, there is a great deal of variation in small business exchanges across states.
Note: If you are using the SHOP Participation Rules Dataset for research purposes please cite the dataset as follows: Baker, T.; Town, R. (2014): Health Insurance Exchanges 2.0 Dataset. Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. http://www.rwjf.org/en/library/research/2014/03/hix-2-0/small-business-insurance-health-options-program--shop--participa.html
The SHOP Participation Rules Dataset was last updated on July, 2013.
The creation of the datasets is a work in progress. We welcome your suggestions. Please contact Gabbie Nirenburg at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, comments, or ideas for improvement in the datasets. The datasets are regularly updated and we will attempt to incorporate your comments.
- 1. State Insurance Departments Dataset
- 2. Small Business Insurance Health Options Program (SHOP) Participation Rules Dataset
- 3. Health Insurance Exchange Determination Process and Governance Structure Dataset
- 4. Medicaid Expansion and Federal State Division of Responsibilities Dataset
- 5. Consumer Assistance Dataset
- 6. Plan Benefit Design Dataset
- 7. Regulation of Choice Architecture Dataset
- 8. Navigators and Brokers Dataset
- 9. State Action on Insurance Market Reforms Dataset
- 10. Insurance Premiums 2013-2015 Dataset
- 11. Insurers' Marketshare 2010-2014 Dataset
- 12. Second Open Enrollment Period Window Shopping Dataset