Plan Benefit Design refers to the decisions and choices that states have made regarding the design, layout, and functionality of exchange websites.
Examples include how the exchange displays quality rating, whether or not the website is available in alternative languages, and if the exchange displays potential physicians and drugs for consumers. This also includes whether or not the website allows consumers to sort plans by metal tier, insurance carrier, and/or quality rating. The Plan Benefit Design Dataset, along with the Regulation of Choice Architecture dataset and a forthcoming Navigators and Brokers Dataset, is part of a group of datasets that examine choice architecture on the web portals.
Funding for HIX 2.0, and the Plan Benefit Design Dataset, was provided by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.
Note: If you are using the Plan Benefit Design Dataset for research purposes please cite the dataset as follows: Baker, T.; Town, R. (2014): Health Insurance Exchanges 2.0 Dataset. Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. http://www.rwjf.org/en/library/research/2014/03/hix-2-0/plan-benefit-design-dataset.html
The Plan Benefit Design Dataset was last updated on 6/18/14.
The creation of the datasets is a work in progress. We welcome your suggestions. Please contact Gabbie Nirenburg at email@example.com with any questions, comments, or ideas for improvement in the datasets. The datasets are regularly updated and we will attempt to incorporate your comments.
- 1. State Insurance Departments Dataset
- 2. Small Business Insurance Health Options Program (SHOP) Participation Rules Dataset
- 3. Health Insurance Exchange Determination Process and Governance Structure Dataset
- 4. Medicaid Expansion and Federal State Division of Responsibilities Dataset
- 5. Consumer Assistance Dataset
- 6. Plan Benefit Design Dataset
- 7. Regulation of Choice Architecture Dataset
- 8. Navigators and Brokers Dataset
- 9. State Action on Insurance Market Reforms Dataset
- 10. Insurance Premiums 2013-2015 Dataset
- 11. Insurers' Marketshare 2010-2014 Dataset
- 12. Second Open Enrollment Period Window Shopping Dataset